Show us your Japanese vinyl pressings

It seems there it is a bit of interest in vinyl from our friends in Japan, so I thought I’d start a thread on vinyl from the Land of the Rising Sun, an opportunity to show off your records and all the bits that come with them:

I’ll get things started - here are my two Fabs Japanese records, Abbey Road and Yellow Submarine:

12 Likes

Sadly lacking in Jap vinyl
Here is my only album brought when I was a massive Genesis fan as a teenager
A double album compilation which was quite expensive.But as a fan I would buy everything

10 Likes

I have a small obsession with Japanese pressings from the 1980s and now have around 50 albums (usually stuff I played to death as a teenager or didn’t have enough money to buy at the time) plus a handful of 12" singles.

As a taster, here’s a lovely promo copy of Head Over Heels by Cocteau Twins from 1987, sadly without its original insert, but the combination of the music and Vaughan Oliver’s design work has always brought me much joy.

10 Likes

One of 15 Japanese Pink Floyd LPs I have - their 1967 debut. This version has “See Emily Play” tacked on to the end of Side Two after “Bike”, which doesn’t really work.

9 Likes

13 Likes

Interesting topic!
I must admit I know nothing about vinyls but I do love them. So while we are here, does Japanese have good pressing reputation?

1 Like

Just my Japanese Beatles collection.

7 Likes

Generally yes but not always.

3 Likes

IMG_0502
IMG_0917

5 Likes

I have some more but will have to take some more photos.

8 Likes

I have found that Japanese vinyl is usually at its best where the original metalwork has been used for the pressing. That way you usually have the best sounding cut but with the added benefit of a superb pressing made with very pure vinyl.

Where the cut has been done in Japan things can be a lot more hit or (more often) miss.

What is cool regardless though are the Obi strips and the extra inserts that you would often get with posters, lyrics and extra photos.

I used to have a fair few but sold most of them off some years ago when I realised that they often didn’t sound as good as the US or UK originals. There are exceptions, of course, like this one which uses the Sterling Sound metalwork;

11 Likes

Hi @LindsayM

The Tal Wilkenfeld you posted is a CD?

1 Like

Forgot these two…

4 Likes

Yes, not allowed?

Not an issue for me, but it’s up to @TheKevster as the thread title is asking for vinyl pressings!

1 Like

Trane - Birdland
Monk - Genious 1 10in
Monk - Genious 1 10in
Chambers - Bass on Top
Cables - Big Jazz Trio
La Roca - Basra
Green St
Lou takes off
Blakey - Moanin'
Byrd - in Hand
Miles - R A Midnight
KOB

11 Likes

Three Dames. Sadly the obi from “Low” is missing:

11 Likes

Interesting documentary on NHK World discussing Japanese vinyl culture/manufacture.

Presented by Peter Barakan, the worlds most laid back TV presenter. :grinning:

5 Likes

Just a small collection including some Promo albums.

9 Likes