Show us your Japanese vinyl pressings

don’t want to rain on the party but despite top notch packaging and great vinyl quality i’ve rid myself of most my japan-presses as they just don’t sound great
though for early prog stuff they are often the only way to get a nice record as the UK or german orginals are too expensive
collection fillers for me mostly

1 Like

This Japanese CBS/Sony WYWH has good sound - plus a slightly different cover, two stickers, insert, poster and postcard:

8 Likes

Yep sorry it’s another Bowie.

9 Likes

Fabulous DSOM and WyWH Kev …great pics
Paying £25 each for Animals and Obscured By Clouds for the Remasters is about how far I have gone with updating my Floyd vinyl
But sèeing your Jap Floyd …its up a level entirely…I admire your enthusiasm
Cheers Ian

3 Likes

Pink Floyd 11/15. Animals on CBS/Sony with obi, insert and sticker:

7 Likes

The Japanese pressing that changed my mind about the original mix of Animals :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Pink Floyd 12/15. This CBS/Sony copy of old Rog’s plasterwork sounds very good. Not as good as an OG UK of course, but very good…

5 Likes

@Tabbycat Cheers Ian. I only have two Japanese PF albums missing from my collection: A Nice Pair and the rather scarce A Momentary Lapse of Reason (the last legit PF vinyl pressing). DSOT, TDB, Pulse and TER never came out on vinyl in Japan. I must acquire those missing two! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Then after than I guess it’s on to the SB/RW/DG/NM/RWr solo albums: I only have a couple of those on Japanese vinyl, so lots to collect there!

2 Likes

Three of the titles from my Miles Davis vinyl stack which are original CBS/Sony pressings.

I actually prefer ‘Agharta’ in the UK issue from 1975/76. ‘Pangaea’ only came out at that time in Japan.

4 Likes

Probably the most unusual - certainly the heaviest - Japanese vinyl in my collection. ‘Complete Keynote Collection’ set put out by the esteemed Kiyoshi ‘Boxman’ Koyama in the mid 80s and still in great nick. About 20 LPs (!) with bonus Lennie Tristano EP and numbered/signed by the Boxman himself. This set going on deck this afternoon.

5 Likes

THAT is a beauty @Dynaudio1

1 Like

Yes - thanks to this thread I dug it out. Doesn’t get opened up and played enough.

Koyama really did put out some beautiful box sets in the 80s. Those CD sets on Mercury by Clifford Brown, Roland Kirk, Helen Merril, Dinah Washington etc. were all his. Quality was/is up there with Mosaic.

1 Like

Thanks Kev …spoken like a true collector and like me a hoarder…I think we are beyond help with so much on the shelves …but I look at all the spines and CDs and its a comfort thing …I love the tactile quality of Vinyl artwork …streaming is very convenient and not knocking it.But its absolutely soulless .
Wishing you a fine evening
Ian

3 Likes

Public Image Ltd
The Flowers Of Romance
Columbia Japan

Great album

As is

The Slits Cut
Island/Polystar

Two favourites :heart_eyes:

8 Likes

Cor!

1 Like

Elton John - Elton John ( CBS Sony )
Not as exotic as many pressings featured, but this must date from late '70’s. A compilation featuring the hits and deeper cuts. Interesting comments re sound quality, as i was definitely underwhelmed by the sound of this double album, expecting better.

4 Likes

Down boy…:laughing:

1 Like

FWIW, about 60% of my CD collection is made for the Japanese market with all the Japanese overlay cards and inlay sheets. But to me it is normal so I just chuck them out as soon as I unwrap them. Sacrilege to some here I assume. But oddly enough, all the vinyl I’ve ever bought in Japan has originated from the US.

2 Likes

I only have two Japanese LPs by The Doors both on Elektra/Warner/Pioneer, but neither of them “core” catalogue:

4 Likes

I have only a few Japanese Doors but they don’t have obi’s - I’m not sure why as I bought them new ( as I recall ).

2 Likes