Show us your Japanese vinyl pressings

Here’s another one…

Rock A Shacka are doing a good job

5 Likes

7 Likes

5 Likes

Pink Floyd 6/15. Relics on Toshiba EMI, in a unique gatefold sleeve , with inserts and all other manner of goodies…

9 Likes

That’s very very nice…K😎 won’t one.

1 Like

Propaganda’s brilliant A Secret Wish. On Island/Polystar, pressed and cut by JVC. The obi, unusually, is integrated into the insert…

6 Likes

9 Likes

Pink Floyd 7/15. Meddle. Toshiba EMI.

8 Likes

Pink Floyd 8/15. OBC on Toshiba EMI. Again, it comes with a lot of goodies:

11 Likes

40 year-old copy of Without Mercy by The Durutti Column on Factory.

Not as many goodies as Pink Floyd, but has a lovely embossed, non varnished sleeve.

7 Likes

Interesting thread Kev! Do you buy these because of their improved SQ over UK product? I don’t really have any experience of Japanese pressings except for a copy of PF’s The Wall by CBS/SONY Japan.

It’s been a while since I’ve felt like playing this music, but back when it was top of my pops I appreciated the clarity and detail of the Sony ( and it was in much better condition than my played to death original) but I felt it lost some of the air and atmosphere of the original which was the one I tended to play.
I’d be interested in your views on whether I should be searching out some Japanese pressings.

3 Likes

@KJC there are a few Japanese pressings I have that sound fantastic but mostly I collect them for all the extra goodies you get with them. Often the sound is very different from other pressings- sometimes worse, occasionally better. And of course the vinyl is usually of supremely high quality, especially the JVC Super Vinyl of the 1970s and 80s.

A lot of the Japanese pressings I have, I bought when I worked at Tower Records in London. I would often do stock transfers with the Tokyo stores at cost price and with my staff discount of 30% they would often work out cheaper than UK versions!

4 Likes

IMG_1267

5 Likes

If I could only remember my name, David Crosby.

5 Likes

I only have one Miles Davis Japanese LP, which is this. Sadly the obi is long gone (there was never an insert with this particular pressing).

5 Likes

But for me, one of his best, love it!

1 Like

5 Likes

This Toshiba EMI Pro-Use pressing of DSOTM is very interesting as it sounds completely different from every other pressing I’ve heard. It’s “wetter” and more expansive than others, maybe “softer” too. It may be a sound that’s not to your taste, or maybe it is – but it certainly sounds different.

The booklet, by the way, is a facsimile of the programme from the London Planetarium when the album was launched there back in March '73.

10 Likes

:sunglasses:

1 Like

One of the greatest albums ever.

11 Likes