Show us your pets

New resident of the chair and legs.

Now 14 weeks old, weighs 2.5 Kg and goes by the name of Bertie. (British Blue)
The other 2 his full brother Purrcy (British Cream) and half brother Sooty (guess the colour😀) are somewhere about.

27 Likes

Zhukov doesn’t know what it is either.

Willy.

19 Likes

Warning, warning.

CUTE alert

3 Likes

It’s where a Russian submarine run aground and got covered in sand, just the periscope left sticking up.

8 Likes

Purrcy says “he might be cute but I’m Cuter”

I’m not taking sides in this discussion though

24 Likes

He is just adorable, but the so are the two blues😊

Took ages to find her :smile:

23 Likes

Badger up at Kilkenny nature reserve after our trip to sample baguettes, coffee, croissants and sourdough at Dunkertons. Verdict: coffee too bitter, baguettes too doughy, croissants tasty - at least badger thought so. The sourdough taste will have to wait.

So far the best sourdough to my taste is the malted flour one from Mark’s. Dunkerton’s is wholemeal so I’m expecting great things. Oh, the nature reserve is an unspoilt gem that looks towards the Malverns and Cleeve Hill.

16 Likes

Louby-Lou has been rather sick recently. A case of Pancreatitis possibly from eating something very toxic - she’s quite the scavenger and will catch and eat mice, rats, rabbits etc…

The good news is that she is feeling better although she has slowed down a bit and some grey has appeared on her muzzle and cheeks.

Here she is on “her” sofa - I just love the way she folds her legs and tucks them under herself…

30 Likes

Poor girl. Pancreatitis is nasty and so painful for them. Good to hear she is on the mend.

1 Like

Pancreatitis does seem to be treatable these days, unlike 15 years ago when our poor old puss Rubic was diagnosed with pancreatitis and euthanised the same day.

I was reminded partly because it’s very much a Maine Coon trait to fold your leg under you and lower yourself onto it! All ours do it.

Hope she makes a full recovery soon.

1 Like

Yes, she was pretty miserable over the weekend when she first started feeling poorly. On Sunday night I was really worried and thought it might be curtains. The vet though was brilliant and had her on fluids early that Monday and through Tuesday. By Wednesday she seemed through the worst of it and starting on the road to recovery. She’s still on antibiotics but should complete the course in a week or so. When I took her back to see the vets a week later they couldn’t believe the difference. It’s expensive but when they are in pain you are prepared to pay anything to see them well again. It does, however, mean that any ideas I may have had of getting a NAIT 50 have been scuppered…

10 Likes

We insure all our cats, but dogs cost more to insure and it gets a lot more expensive as pets age. Freddie at 11 costs more to insure than the two two year olds do together and we have a mandatory excess of 20% of every claim, in addition to the per condition, per year excess.

But to be fair, they do pay quickly. The last claim I made on a Sunday evening, their system sent it electronically to our vet who just happened to have their insurance processor in on Monday, so it was signed off on Monday, processed by the insurance company on Tuesday and on Wedns morning I got an email saying the cash would be paid within 48 hours, which indeed it was.

We had a cat with pancreatitis only a few years ago and getting the fluids in her seemed to be key, as well as a drug that thinned the pancreatic fluid so it could flow more easily and antibiotics. That was a magic recovery too.

3 Likes

Mrs Houdini’s claim was paid quickly , I am sure a mistake was made - but I’ll wait and see .

(it came out on my side)

I had a very bad experience with one of the big pet insurers some years ago who insured my Bull terrier Rommel, and it rather put me off ever since. They also wouldn’t insure once a dog passed the age of 8, although I hear this may not still be the case.

Louby-lou, like Luna and Twig, has liability insurance, but that’s it. We don’t insure them otherwise as Lurchers and Jacks are usually incredibly robust breeds - they’ve certainly proved it having survived to when they were rescued - twice in Louby-Lou’s case! Apart from when Twig drank green algae water, this is the first time any of them have had any serious ailment while in our care. I’m hoping it’s the last…

3 Likes

If I keep this off topic then the forum moderator may tell me off! I’ve used two in recent years. Tesco massively increases the premium at age 10 for cats. I tried to argue and said I would move my insurance (which is a hollow threat with an old animal because of pre-existing conditions). The Tesco rep more or less said “that’s why we put the price up”.

And PetPlan which we use currently raises the premium more gently as they get older, but also has the 20% excess at age 10 and over. I don’t know whether it’s the same with dogs.

One of our young cats broke a tooth recently. This had to be removed and the cavity got infected. That was nearly £1000 over the course of a month. So the insurance charge of about £40 a month seemed good value!

And old Freddie had an eye problem which cost us £3.5K over two months and we got most of that less 20% back very promptly. His insurance is about £75 a month, but still means we are quids in.

1 Like

In his last year Zebedee ran through the cost of an ND555…

1 Like

Thats love❤️

OK, so the insurance covered much of it, but we ran through the full 12K, and then we were on our own.

Would we the same again? You betcha!

Daughter#2’s Artemis is a real “snotmeister”…CHOO! So she had a scan done on her nose.
£1500.

1 Like

When Boomerang’s seizures started recently, an overnight stay and some meds were just slightly under $2k and worth every penny! He was supposed to spend the night in a crate, but somehow managed to charm the staff into letting him hang out on an improvised bed by their station :rofl: