Show us your Sondek

Is the sticky uppy bit the bias? I wonder how it works. The arm itself does look like the Syrinx, which I once had, but without the funny extra bit.

Yes, see the similarity…
Loved those Syrinx tonearms.
Had a PU3 (on a Pink Triangle), which was amazing.

1 Like

“Is the sticky uppy bit the bias? I wonder how it works.”

Majik?

Seriously, Linn don’t give anything away, they don’t seem to mention it in their data sheets, but as the Krane is from Clearaudio, I think it is magnets.

Similar to Rega, but styling is different?

Rega arms are dynamically balanced, using a spring, whereas the Krane is statically balanced. I just wonder that the bit on the right does, and how it does it.

Well, what did it replace &, if this is your first LP12, how are you finding it?

Found a bit more

Many thanks, so it’s a magnetic anti skate. A neat idea for sure.

Quite similar in its ‘look’, to the Syrinx PU2 of many years back - and the Audio Origami PU7 of today…

I used an old Technics SL 2000 that my parents bought in 1977.

I am really happy with the LP12. The anti skating is indeed magnetic.

5 Likes

Is that an old EPC270C cartridge.
That’s going back a bit. :+1:t2:

It is an EPC270C cartridge indeed.

2 Likes

Brings back fond memories of my early indulgence.
Thanks for sharing. :+1:t2:

I bought the first iteration of this deck in 1987/88 from Audio Venue in Crystal Palace. Before the Woodsong plinth it was black ash and originally came with the Basik arm and K9 cartridge. It now lives in Brisbane Australia.

I hope this is a good place to sneak in an LP12 question.

I got a second-hand Troika to replace my MM Adikt when i picked up a second-hand Urika off eBay. My arm is the Mk1 Ekos, while the rest of the deck is pretty much done - karousel, keel, akurate-radikal. Would a better Linn cartridge be worth the upgrade or is hierarchy still king and an Ekos SE is the next step?

12 Likes

This brings back my memory, I used to live in Crystal Palace, 10-min drive to Audio Vennue. I got my 32.5/HICAP/250 & Linn 12 /Ittok/Troika from Chris @ Audio Venue in 1987. I do not remember the name of the owner of the shop, but I remember his wife worked for HIFI Review where Chris Frankland and Malcome Stuart also worked at.

Hi Mike

I would go for a better arm in the first instance - it was my understanding that no Ekos 1’s ever made it to Australia, the Ekos 2 certainly did though . I know the Ekos 1 had a few bearing issues

Are you sure your arm is not the Ekos 2 ? I have it on one of my LP12’s and it’s a good one , in fact some experts say much better than the Linn Akito arm which has just been discontinued.

The Ekos SE is the wholly grail of course , but very expensive here in Australia . There is a new arm out called the Arko which has replaced the Akito , stereonet is saying it’s $6k here in Australia . It may well suit your requirements without going right up the tree to the Ekos SE

Have a look on Stereonet Australia , there are also a couple of new Linn moving coils also now out. If your Troika is still in good Knick and sounds good then keep that for a while and make that your next move after arm

What phono stage and power supply do you have?

Cheers

Bevo

1 Like

Sorry just read akurate - radikal

Maybe Arko arm will be good

Radikal II is a massive upgrade IMHO. I’d probably go for that before changing the arm.

Yes correct Clive but hugely expensive here in Australia

Bit over the top really

I used Audio Venue a couple of times. First place I heard Naim 135/SBLs - wow!

I think the owners were Derek … & Chris … ?

I know Derek and Chris, but there was another, slightly older man.

Actually, your name, @Ian, rings a bell, his name is also Ian.

1 Like