Show us your Sondek

If your bids fail, you really should try to make one. You should tie the loop round a suitably sized piece of piano wire 8 or 10swg, perhaps, and slide it off once knotted. Add a dab of superglue to the knot. If you mess up, no worries as you’ll probably have to buy a 50m reel, which would make more than a few!

1 Like

Well, my LP12 sounds different to when I first got it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. The low end is now much more solid with punch, and the over emphasised treble has tamed. Not sure what has happened here? Either the cartridge was never fully played-in, or I’ve also read about bearings needing to play in. If it hadn’t been used for some time, is there such a thing as burn-in on a used LP12 after it hasn’t been used, or shifted around and re-setup?

Anyway, it is all sounded very nice and I’ve ordered some more vinyl🙄. New Collaro mat should be here this week. Also wondering whether to grab a new belt, for no other reason than it’s an old LP12 and there is a new one available on-line privately at half price.

4 Likes

Get the new belt Mike if it’s new , not sure how you check that though

2 Likes

It’s shown in a sealed package, but no logo on the package, so not sure if it’s a orginal Linn one. How are they normally packaged? I know the Rega ones come in a bag with a logo on it…

I have no idea how they are packaged unfortunately Mike / not much help to you at all

1 Like

Ours which was definitely a genuine one, came in a small resealable plastic bag - no logo, if that helps. Remember they are sided if you do replace it. Link here to an old thread https://community.naimaudio.com/t/lp12-belt-which-side/221

4 Likes
1 Like

I think that Tolkien and C S Lewis used to meet in that pub. They called themselves ‘Inklings’.

4 Likes

I can’t ever remember a Sondek belt coming in a bag with a logo.

Most of the ones I’ve ever bought probably came out of a larger plastic bag in a dealer’s drawer put into a smaller one!

1 Like

Clear bag no logo £50.

1 Like

Just imagine how much it would cost if it was a coloured bag with a logo. Linn missed a trick there.

You guys should take a look to McIntosh: you pay 2000 Euros for an empty box :wink:

1 Like

Branding said bag as the Linn Plastik.

1 Like

I dusted off my circa '82 original (Valhalla?) LP12 Sondek to put into service soon. It needs a bit of a clean and tune up, but it’s all working fine. I also need a phono stage as I no longer have one, but funds a very tight, so I’ll start off with something fairly basic for now then upgrade as and when funds allow.

I was very lucky to get it for a crazy price. But on the condition that I’d look after it and after passing what I can only describe as an interview with the previous owner who bought it new. Messy divorce, caravan park in the south west of London, no cash to heat the place, etc etc. He literally cried when I left promising I’d be faithful to it. I’ve had it in storage for a few years as I sorted out other things in life and now it’s time to revive.

What a beauty.

29 Likes

A good bargain phono stage is the Rega Fono and if cash stretches far enough then a Rega Aria is also very good for the money. It looks like it has a Valhalla from the switch.

3 Likes

I was pretty sure it was as I don’t have 45 and have to use an adapter on the motor spindle.

1 Like

My first LP12 upgrades. A pair of reading glasses so I can check the stylus and records for cleaning, and a Collaro mat (complete with double sided tape to keep it on the platter).

19 Likes

Rega fono works for me, strangely my LP12 landed out of the blue, now here on long time loan.

1 Like

Cool glasses :+1:

1 Like

Detect difference with collaro mat Mike ?