Show us your Sondek

Did it cost £60,000?

Fifty thousand pounds or Sixty thousand dollars. :scream: :face_vomiting:

I bet that it does not sound better than the standard version!..but might reflect on the purchasers (should there be any!).

I have a modest LP12. We had a wealthy friend over on Monday and he asked if my TT was expensive. I told him new ones start at nearly £4K. He nearly fell over. I didn’t dare tell him the price of the top spec. This is from a guy who drives an Aston Martin. Clearly not on his radar.

4 Likes

It looks good, well-photographed.

Once you’ve embraced unfluted plinths, third party plinths, armboards etc, aesthetically this doesn’t look horrendous.

Worth the money? Not to me…but I’m not the target market I suspect. One for the designer-chic set and buyers with deep pockets who want a styled limited edition.

For me, it’s a sideshow…doesn’t annoy me particularly, any more than the host of much millionaire hifi out there.

Comparatively, as Collywobbles noted, most of our gear is seen by normal people as jawdroppingly expensive anyway.

5 Likes

What’s it sound like & how much does anything comparable cost? And does what’s comparable (in sound quality) look like something off the shop floor in an engineering factory? Aesthetically, it’s a bit dark for my liking & I can’t envisage spending that in total on my Hifi, or even a car come to that.

Worth the money? No. But looking at that photo, I’d like one!

1 Like

Probably not a top notch Aston. A 10/12 yo Vantage is probably worth less than a top spec. LP12

3 Likes

Ha. I’ll ask him its age. Personalised reg and that.

The L12-50 might sound better than a factory standard Klimax LP12. According to Linn, sonic improvement comes from the Bedrok plinth. But unless or until Linn makes the Bedrok plinth generally available, few people will be in a position to make the comparison to find out for themselves.

3 Likes

I was disappointed that the transparent nylon thread of the bias weight for my new (refurbished) ARO gave up the ghost yesterday, so that the bias weight can no longer be attached to the armtop. I hope that this can be fixed by Naim, even though production of the ARO ceased years ago.

Just get on to Cymbiosis and Peter. No nylon will be any good after that many years, even in storage.

1 Like

Yes, I’ll call Cymbiosis in the next few days.

It’s nature’s way of telling you to get an Ekos…

6 Likes

The Ekos is a lovely arm for sure, but I think that I’ll stick with two AROs. I haven’t ‘sexed’ them yet, but I’m hoping that they might breed!

3 Likes

Can John at Audio T Brighton fix it for you?

Admire your optimism…

1 Like

I’ll ring Audio T tomorrow. There seems to be a glue on the ‘fishing line’ nylon thread, but I find that hard to imagine.

Probably ‘just’ fishing line or Naim spec equivalent…should be a easy fix. Good luck!

Just seen your post above…re fishing line.
At least it’s not Yak hair or some exotica, lol…

1 Like

Surely they sourced locks of Galadriel’s hair for that.

1 Like