Show us your Sondek

Wasn’t there an SE1 that had a slightly shorter arm ?

The Ekos SE was introduced in 2006, followed by the Ekos SE/1 in 2013. The main difference is that the latter has a larger headshell, to better accommodate larger cartridges, such as the big Dynavectors. It may be that they reduced the length of the arm tube to compensate.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info Corry much appreciated

1 Like

Hi @QuickSticks

Hope your enjoying playing records, with your new SuperLine.
Any thoughts for Naim Z Foil Airplugs ?

Lots of experience and advice - on this forum - for loading across different cartridges
Tony @BasicallySound helped with a set for our SuperLine. For example : (a) 576R ; (b) 453R ; ( c ) 1nF.
We are currently using with a Linn Troika. But also covered for existing and future options (e.g. Linn or Dynavector ).

Good luck
R

2 Likes

Hi @ratrat
Tony set mine up for me using the plugs provided against the setting required by the Apheta 3.
I must admit complete ignorance of ‘Z Plugs’.
My Cyrus required no such ‘Wizardry’ :magic_wand: as all the settings were done through the logic interface.
What are ‘Z Plugs’ and why might I need them…? :thinking:

1 Like

@QuickSticks
Lots to read about, if you are curious…
Just use search terms “Z Foil” or “Airplugs” and read the many discussions - relating to Naim SuperLine cartridge loading and use of Naim Z Foil Airplugs - on the forum.

The loading plugs in the SuperLine box are good enough. No problem.

The term " Z Foil " refers to a type of electronic component, considered to be higher or highest quality.

Naim hand build a series of SuperLine Airplugs, with these Z Foil components, as higher quality alternatives to the standard ones supplied in the box with their SuperLine. You can purchase these through a Naim Dealer. In our case, Tony @BasicallySound arranged this for us.

** Useful resource, with photo’s of inside of a loading plug.
[ Individual components - resistive ( resistor) or capacitive (capacitor) - for cartridge loading ]

Many report a small gain (in sound quality) from using the Airplugs.

Maybe don’t buy a whole set, just the two or three you feel you might use.
Hope that helps explain?

Good luck
R

edit ** : added a link - a previous post - to show inside an Airplug and a single Z-Foil component, for cartridge loading.

2 Likes

Thank you @ratrat, I’ll take a look and discuss with Tony at my next opportunity :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@QuickSticks
Sure. Maybe do some reading, using the forum search function.
TBH, there’s no rush with these things.
It’s just an option, if you are open to experiment with such ideas.

Good luck
R

1 Like

2 Likes

Without trawling through 4,600 odd posts

Has anyone tried or heard an LP12 Klimax with the Nait 50 ?

Cheers

I have an LP12/ARO/Troika as source for my Nait 50. It’s very impressive.

8 Likes

My LP12 is a hybrid - I have Kore, Akurate Radikal 2, Ekos SE/1, Dynavector XX20. It sounds excellent with the Nait 50. In my experience the Nait can definitely reveal differences between sources.

3 Likes

Thanks Clive , much appreciated

I have a very similar spec LP12 to Clive except I have Akurate Radikal 1.
I hooked up my Nait50 to it and it sounded very good indeed.
However my Neat MF7 speakers appreciated the extra oomph of my Nap300.

Yes thanks Premmyboy

All about the correct matching of components

I can imagine the MF7’s would struggle a bit

@graham55

As Graham is, I’m running LP12 ARO ( fully loaded ) with the Nait 50 and Neat Petites 30 anniversaries- perfect match

My other LP12 is the Klimax ( Radikal 1) 40th anniversary and just wondering how that might go also - positive responses from you guys which is great

Thanks for replies

2 Likes

Any sentence that starts “My other LP12”….

4 Likes

Ha ha few of us around Nick

Why you may ask / I’ve got an excuse

In 2 different locations 100kms apart

1 Like

After a long hunt, I’ve finally managed to track down the Hen’s tooth and get hold of an Aro heavy counterweight. It’s still early days in listening, but initial impressions are highly favourable overall with more definite sound staging, easy detail and more muscularity and colour. It seems to take the Aro a bit closer in sound to an Ekos presentation if that makes sense. Whether that has come at the expense of some of that unique, delicate, just-so Aro sound remains to be assessed, but my immediate thinking is that it’s a very decent net gain.

The heavy c/w is 138g vs 106g for my existing c/w and it gets its extra mass from having a wider diameter ring. Front to back length is the same on both.

I’ve bought it because my Dynavector TKR is 9.6g vs the Aro’s design-optimised 7.0g (Troika) and though I’ve loved the TKR, I’ve been aware that it could be a little laid back at times. I need to thank @Cymbiosis Peter for the suggestion that the heavy c/w might be worth trying to get hold of for my rig, the advantage being to get the c/w closer to the Aro’s fulcrum - presumably for improved responsiveness. It seems to work!

You can hopefully see how much further away from the fulcrum the standard c/w needs to be with the TKR in these 2 similar pics:

Heavy c/w:

Standard c/w:

The heavy c/w sounds great already, but there may now be a compromise to deck set-up because the suspension on my LP12 is of course set for the lighter c/w. The extra 32g that’s now been added in the tone arm corner is very slightly depressing the Keel asymmetrically as you might just be able to see in the close up pic.

How much better it might sound after a fresh set up to allow for the extra mass will be interesting to see.

8 Likes

A very nice find KJC! :slight_smile:
With the suspension all nice and free, the additional weight does depress the suspension a little, yes as you see and I mentioned previously. It is a good idea to get this adjusted to level again as it is important, particularly with a uni-pivot of course, so you can expect even more of an improvement once this is done. :+1:
Just for your info (and anyone else’s if interested ) I’m away from the 23rd March for 2 weeks as I’ll be in Japan.

KR

Peter

2 Likes

Nice! You will find everything in Japan is inexpensive (less than 30% of everything we pay here in the US) due to [very] Yen. A good hotel in Tokyo cost less than $90 / night for a double room for instance.

2 Likes