Show us your Sondek

I’m due to have the Karousel and Kore fitted next week and looking forward to the result. That’s a nice looking plinth - where is it from?

2 Likes

It was a custom Wenge plinth from an online retailer - sorry, can’t remember who!

1 Like

Hi
Having got a decent Ekos Mk1, I decided to upgrade the Linn with the Karousel bearing and a Kore subchassis. Aso replaced the Denon with a Hana SL. All in, a fabulous update.

3 Likes

How true

Not sure any ‘naked’ pictures have been posted…?

Here is the underside my my 1981 vintage LP12, with its baseboard off.

Thats a 1982 vintage Valhalla board, still working (but a bit mucky in places…).

4 Likes

Snap :wink:
Nice before and after images posted previously…
(BTW, yours looks remarkably clean & tidy).

Before

After

(Think I also posted some images of my Ittok tonearm being refurbished and Troika rebuild too).
Looking forward to getting my LP12 back home soon.

1 Like

Ah… cool… I had missed that one… :slightly_smiling_face:

Trying to think what I can add, about mine…
Originally a pre-Valhalla LP12, bought (new) in 1981.
Valhalla board fitted 1992.
Sub-chassis changed 1985 (glued…?).
Most recent work - Cirkus’ed in 2018 (by @Cymbiosis ), using a pre-loved Steel Circus Sub-chassis.

Not quite Trigger’s Broom… yet… :smile:

2 Likes

Super clean and tidy :+1:
Hope it’s sounding great and giving good service.

Can’t wait to get mine back. Not long now.

How does that translate, on a power supply, for a TT…
Cleaner, better regulated voltage = correct, stable supply to motor = improves timing and timbre.
Sometimes that can be heard in the music.

To illustrate, recently tried the Rega NEO PSU, (just after first release as a separate accessory), comparing with the stock PSU already supplied with my Rega RP6. Did this with the benefit of A/B testing, with another same TT. The NEO, by itself, improved things in a significant way. Best £200 upgrade on any TT ever.

Sure. (Just saying because a question was asked).
Personally, I like the idea of continuing with stock LP12
I think the simplicity of it is beautiful.

It’s a brilliant design and so aesthetically pleasing. :heart_eyes:
Mine was stock for 35 years, before it received any updates :+1:

Hope you’re having fun playing lots of vinyl records…

1 Like

I am considering adding a Lingo Mk1 to mine, as/when/if I can find one at a not ‘silly’ price.

3 Likes

The 2021 Majik including Krane and Karousel looks like a great offering, more sound for about the same price as before, just add a decent PSU.

Yet, also to my eyes the straight Jelco 250 arm is the aesthetically preferable entry level over the 9CC and even Krane, below the Linn Ittok / Ekos arms that is.

I went full retro with the S-shaped Jelco TS-550 (successor of the well-known SA-750) which I preferred over the straight SA-250-T Jelco / Linn in both sound and operation.

12 Likes

Only try this when you can go full-retro with also a fluted plinth though :grinning:

7 Likes

The original and then serviced by @Darran ClassA in 2015 still in use today.

5 Likes

ps: I had originally ordered it with an Ittok, see this pic at the dealer when I picked it up. Way better aesthetically, the classic LP12 look, but somehow it didn’t “gel” sonically in my system and room. Once the Jelco 550 was fitted as a remedy everything was all of a sudden in perfect harmony here. So I left it at that as I had depleted my budget by then. Later, after having heard what a Radikal brings over everything else (I definitely preferred a Majik with Radikal over one of the higher-up decks at the same price), I realised that would likely be the first (and probably last) upgrade to consider next.

5 Likes

The NEO is a serious upgrade also to my ears, on any Rega that came with the TT-PSU. Amazing at the price. After having heard a Planar 8 recently I must admit that it is seriously good and I might have chosen that over the LP12 were it available at the time. Then again, as mentioned by others, there is something about the furniture-, heritage- and futureproof qualities of the LP12. It just fills the room with sound and presence. I guess this is similar to why Lewis likes the big Tannoys :wink:

1 Like

I ran a Jelco SA-750d and an Ortofon AS-212S (higher placed Jelco derivative) on an LP12 for a while and preferred them to an Ittok. They really suit the LP12.

2 Likes

@anon10403888 - Nice…! Good work by @Darran at Class A, there.

[edited]

1 Like

My latest creation that I’ve been working on for the last month or so. This one started with a very sorry looking plinth that I bought from LP12bits on a whim because it was super cheap. Normally I’d just touch up here and there but this one was too far gone requiring a sand down and a full respray. I’m really pleased how it’s turned out.

The next piece of the puzzle was the Morch UP4. At the time I was looking for an Aro without much luck and had always fancied the Morch as it’s a unipivot, which I like, and is the daintiest tonearm ever made. When I saw it listed I was lucky enough to be first in the queue. Ironically, the following day the perfect Aro turned up but that’s another story.

Next was the Tangerine Audio Plateau subchassis and armboard. The armboard had been specifically cut for a Morch so it was going to be an ideal partner. I got the Cirkus bearing too from the same source. Then I recapped a sick Valhalla which I will use for now but may upgrade to something a little more fitting.

The cartridge is a Shelter Model 90c. Unheard of outside Japan and something I picked up when I lived there. It was described to me as a series that had been made specifically for the Audio Union Hi-Fi chain and was the Shelter Harmony generator in a 901 Aluminium body. Really great cartridge.

Otherwise the rest of the parts came from my parts drawer or from LP12bits as usual. First impressions? Very detailed and very focussed sound. It’s going to be interesting getting to know this one.

33 Likes

Must be nice to be able to build/restore LP12s and play around with them. Or electronics, like Darran, or speakers & other stuff, like Lewis. I build/restore bicycles, also very rewarding. You start from scratch at one point in your life and (much) later you find yourself at more of a master level, being able to teach others. Great :muscle:

3 Likes