Show us your Sondek

Hello Graham,

The lifter is actually based around a standard Rega arm lift rather than an AT. It’s comprised of a simple pillar which attaches to the sub chassis via a 4 mm Allen head screw fixing from beneath. This along with the outrigger that attaches to the standard Rega lift/lower pot and also the extended cueing bar are bespoke to the lifter and following the demise of Tiger Paw a few years back I was able to persuade johnnie7 of AO To fabricate these items for me. :blush:
The REGA lift/lower it’s really the only moving part. Consequently, in the future if anyone ever gets any problem this should be an easily available replacement part. All this is needed to adjust the lifter perfectly once the pillar is fitted is a 1.3 mm Allen key which is supplied in the kit. There are three adjustment points FYI.

There are actually six revisions of the Keel/A and a modification in the webbing underneath the arm board was made on version 3 to accommodate a specific drilling point for the lift lower. So hopefully you will have a V3 or above but if not I’m sure John at AudioT in Brighton who I’ve known for quite some time along with Julian Chapman who of course has now retired should be able to position the 4 mm hole required pretty accurately for you so as it can do the job for you.

If he doesn’t have a mounting template then he can mention it when he contacts me as I can provide one.
I’ve deliberately made these things as easy as possible to fit but obviously you would need to consult directly with John as to how and where he would fit the lift for you. However, I fitted one only this afternoon whilst the LP 12 was sat in a jig, So I don’t imagine installation of course him too many issues.

Cost? Obviously I can’t say it here but let’s say it’s less than a SNAIC 5 :wink:

KR
Peter

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your speedy reply, Peter. I’ve checked the price of a SNAIC5 (prices seem to vary), and that seems okay. I have never had a problem hand cueing the ARO (in fact I find it rather quaint to do it all manually), but I’m not getting any younger, and don’t want to get too doddery to be able to cue up my LPs.

I need to get in touch with John in any event, as they sent my lovely NAT01/NAPST units back to Salisbury for a service (it wasn’t tuning properly, which is less than ideal for a tuner!), and they’ll be dropping those back to me soon.

2 Likes

It could be more complicated of course, as many third-party manufacturers offer products for both Linn and Naim. But as a retailer and I think Richard Dane would agree with me, that it’s probably inappropriate for me to comment further other than to say I have a huge respect and admiration for the work of the late Derek Jenkins.
KR,
Peter

2 Likes

Many thanks.

3 Likes

@Cymbiosis Off topic but can you use the new Utopik (hey that rhymes) power supply with the KRadikal2?

1 Like

Time to own up - who counted the boxes?! :joy:

3 Likes

Utopik is a substantial advance over the Dynamik PS I am told. However, I haven’t heard one yet as obviously only the first examples are emerging from Glasgow currently. My understanding is that sometime next year this will be made available to Radikal LP12 owners!:blush:

KR

Peter

3 Likes

In anticipation of receiving my LP12 next week (more details to follow when it arrives), could I ask a boring question re: stacking order? :hot_face:

My proposed layout is …

• LP12
  • CD5si
  • NDX 2
  • Supernait 3
  • Radikal 1

Does this sound right?

TIA

PS Ideally I would like to keep the 3 Naim boxes next to each other for aesthetic reasons…

2 Likes

Others will know better than I, but to me that is exactly right.

If one day you decide to ditch the CD player (probably having ripped your CDs), you could use the space for an XPS for the NDX2 (if it is by then your main source) or a Hicap PS for the Supernait.

If you have the sockets available, having the Radikal on a different socket to the rest often helps SQ. Tha Naim boxes are happy to share a supply with each other, with a Hydra from just 1 socket being my preferred option,

2 Likes

I don’t stream but my stack is
LP12
Supernait 3
Cd5si
K Rad2
Not sure about Streamer placement if it has antenna then high or hardwired doesn’t matter.
IMO

1 Like

Another milestone reached.

Ekstatik after 150 hours on the clock continues to bring smiles.

The detail it reveals is astonishing with a wonderful balance of lows, mids and highs. The only downside I suppose is that it’s so revealing that poor recordings are exposed easily. It needs lovely clean vinyl to show its full capabilities. My recent investment in Degritter ticks that box easily.

Oh ……and the £23.99 stylus timer thingy is a bit geeky but it keeps me happy.

10 Likes

That set up looks perfect to me. I found the CD5Si not as good as a lower grade LP12 than yours and not as good as the ND5XS with external DAC. So not sure that source is on the same level quality wise. Very nice it is though. Much preferred the CDS2 and CDS3 with XPS and XPS 2 respectively.

Lovely cartridge (I love my two stylus timers too!) and the Degritter is getting excellent reviews too.

1 Like

Harumpf. My stylus timer not quite as aesthetically pleasing :wink:

I hope that reset button needs a long press!!?

1 Like

It does luckily :smile:

Never accidentally reset any of mine yet!

1 Like

My stylus timer…

1 Like

My stylus timer

:wink:

9 Likes

Your ear, not your piercing?

1 Like

Looks as if it could do with a recap and service!!

1 Like

I don’t suppose this was my build was it Peter? I’m counting down the days until I can pick it up!

Andy

1 Like