Show us your Sondek

Hi can I get some opinions please on the next step to upgrade my LP12? I recently added Karousel and Kore and as many of you commented at the time the upgrades - especially at about half the retail cost were very worthwhile. The question - though it may be a while is where to go next. LP 12, Ittok with a Cadenza red. Karousel, Kore - Hercules power supply. Appreciate any thoughts.

Definitely power supply next. Lingo or if you can stretch to it, Radikal. Nothing wrong with a preloved Akurate Rad 1

2 Likes

Lingo 4 would be your best bet. Brings you up to what was Akurate level ish. I’ve found more or less your spec a nice place to finish my LP12. Don’t think I need to upgrade anymore barring a huge lottery win and even that would probably prompt a change rather than an upgrade.

2 Likes

Some people say:-

That the Hercules is only worth changing for Lingo 4 or Radikal.

That L4 to Radikal is as big a leap as Cirkus to Karousel.

That even an Ekos SE isn’t that much better from a good Ittok really.

3 Likes

…and A-Rad to K-Rad is a big step

…and Rad I to Rad II is a small step for man, but a giant leap for mankind!

…and so it goes on.

4 Likes

Another vote for the Lingo 4. Your turntable will then be nicely balanced without spending a fortune.

2 Likes

There must be more Sondeks out there we haven’t seen yet?

It’s been seen, but no excuse needed…

Circa 1983/4 (the platter and top plate, anyway!)
Keeled and Karouseled. New flute plinth in cherry, and happy as Larry to have gone back to a smoked lid.

8 Likes

Where do you get a “Smoked Lid”?:flushed:
I REALLY want one of those!!!

1973 :grinning:

2 Likes

Ebay, QS. Chanced upon one in very good condition (compared to my old one up in the loft somewhere, with two clears, and my original fluted afromosia plinth).

1 Like

:rofl:

Pop your clear one in here for a few minutes: :mask:

4 Likes

I have just found one on EBay in less than immaculate condition for £150.
I think I’ll pass… although, somebody is missing a trick on this particular accessory if you ask me. I’d love a Blue tint one to match my room🤔

2 Likes

The smoked lid was always a feature of the Rega decks back in the day. I’m not sure I like a clear lid. I might be emotionally stuck in the 70s or 80s!

It’s a shame members can’t pass on old gear to other members, but…

My old one ‘probably’ just needs a really good going over with Displex (it’s been awhile since I’ve seen it!)

Maybe I’ll try that and put it up for sale - at a more appropriate price, lol.

You could buy a brand new clear lid for just £1.20 more!

This may be upsetting

for some LP12 owners but this is how it arrived!

I don’t think I will post any more, could

be too painful.

5 Likes

You see I don’t think that’s bad at all! I suspect condition was reflected in cost, and there’s only one way from where it is now, upwards!

That is a deck in need of resuscitation. :slightly_frowning_face:
Is it a project?
You need to bring it back to life so it can sing again. :blush:

1 Like