Show us your Sondek

Probably for the last time.

The reason is that I heard a second-hand Stiletto today, with Radikal, Keel, Ekos, Kleos, Skorpion base and Lyra Phonopipe wiring. It’s better.

Would a photograph of a Stiletto still qualify to appear here?

3 Likes

Sad :cry:

I’d like to see the Stiletto, so do post a few pix when it’s at home, Nick.

1 Like

Even if the Stiletto’d LP12 makes the ears happier?

1 Like

Always sad to give up a faithful old friend with years of dedicated service.
Not that you shouldn’t do it of course! :grin:
I was very sad to part with my Keilidh’s. I’d owned them for the best part of 30 years, but my Evokes are stunning and the Keilidh’s went to a good home.
I passed them to my brother in law, so I have visitation rights… :joy:

3 Likes

Hi ghtack, this is not mine, but I have been asked if I could do anything to breather fresh life back into it.

I will get the benefit of keeping it for awhile if I can bring it back to life, then sadly it will be returned to its original owner.

Looks like it’s got a bit damp? Certainly looks like it needs some TLC - good luck :slight_smile:

Hi QuickSticks, it is indeed a project, I have stripped it down completely to get a better take on its condition and I’m delighted to say that although its appearance seems very poor mechanically everything looks in very good shape.
After checking the arm bearings, motor and the control board they all look absolutely fine so no major problems, especially with the Ittok as I believe you can no longer get the arm bearings replaced so any issued there would of brought the project to a stand still straight away.

Lots to do, strip the plinth back to the wood, rectify any blemishes then a repaint probably being the most time consuming but to be honest I’m enjoying every minute of it.

Hope it all works out and I get to keep it for a good while, fingers crossed.

2 Likes

This was my old LP12.

DG…

6 Likes

Yes definitely been attacked by moisture, although

I have been informed that it was stored in doors but guessing the room it was in must have been quiet damp, a couple of the main suspension springs had gone pretty rusty so it had suffered for a good while.

Nearly fully stripped, a few more parts off then we are done, added a couple of images just as a guide.

Fully stripped, let the clean up and rebuild begin, happy days!

8 Likes

Early indications are good then.
I hope all goes well and you get to enjoy the fruits of your labours for a good while before you have to return it. :+1:t3:

Many thanks, I have been promised a very lengthy test drive…will post when fully restored and up and running

Must get a phono stage as I didn’t realise my 202 doesn’t have a phono input!!..think we have time though… :+1:

1 Like

That is not a project that I would even consider taking on myself - that’s what I have my dealer for. I assume (or I hope, even) that you have some prior experience of stripping down and rebuilding all the bits and pieces.

I am pretty sure that I have read somewhere on this site that Johnny of Audio Origami (not a person or outfit that I have any personal knowledge of) can fix things that Linn will no longer service.

1 Like

I use a Cyrus Signature Phono from my LP12 to my 202, but it’s a pricey bit of kit for a temporary use🤔

Hi graham55, I understand your concern but I feel confident in the task, the one job I always find most taxing will be remounting the cartridge, those blasted minute nuts and bolts drive me crackers it doesn’t help having massive hands probably due to spending 50 years in engineering.

Audio Origami I have been reliably informed were the people to go to for any issues with an Ittok but I have been told they can no longer supply and fit new bearings as they are no longer available but luckily for me the arm seems to move very sweetly so fingers crossed we will be okay but many thanks for your concern.

Hi QuickSticks, I had never planed to go back to a turntable and due to the undefined length of stay I may just get a cheap phono stage and see how we go.

After using a streamer I’m not sure how I will get on with a turntable, I love to track hope which is not ideal with a turntable but to be honest I’m really looking forward to playing some of my old vinyl, after I have retrieved it back from my son.

1 Like

Ah, you have mentioned a magic word there - ‘engineering’, which is way beyond my ken, as a simple ex-lawyer.

Very good luck to you, but please don’t come to me for help if your engineering skills prove insufficient down the line.

Seriously, good luck to you (although I would be inclined to check with Audio Origami that they can no longer service the Ittok). I had a comparatively rare Japanese-built black finished Ittok half a lifetime ago, which was beautiful and made the ARO, which I still use all these years later, feel ‘puny’ by comparison.

Thanks I will if the need arises ,really hopeful that it will all be okay but until I actually get it fully functioning nothing is guaranteed.

Costs are an issue, as it is not mine its a little awkward, so at the moment the aim is to do the minimum and see how we get on, that phrase seems very familiar.

It has definitely rekindled my interest in vinyl which cant be a bad thing.

Cheers.

Getting the suspension to bounce properly will be the trickiest part in that project.

Here’s mine. Originally purchased from The Listening Rooms in Fulham in 1989 pre circus with Ekos 1, Lingo (I think) and a K18. Over the years it was cirkused, given a Klyde or two, then (after moving to the US), an Ekos SE, an Akiva, a Keel, a Radikal, Urika, Sarum interconnect and a new Woodsong plinth. Then more recently I added a Kandid, Karosel and the Radikal 2 upgrade. It sounds marvelous and the latest upgrades have been big incremental steps up.
It’s also probably had five sets of hinges along the way :blush:

16 Likes