Show us your Sondek

Glad that you got the hum finally resolved.

For neatness with that thin earth lead, you could extend it and run it with the other cables coming down from the LP12, that way, they’re all in the same area.

DG…

3 Likes

Thanks. I’ll get a longer bit, and/ or with a white cover and it will be unnoticeable. For now, I am too pleased with the resultant sound to care.

2 Likes

Well Done!
Great news. Now sit back, relax and enjoy☺️

1 Like

A bit of conduit from B&Q will neaten up the cables. Glad you have it sorted now. Enjoy!

Internal earthing arrangements within the LP12 plinth should not be taken for granted. I hope this doesn’t put people off an LP12, as has been shown here, a methodical approach to analysing the problem will yield the desired result. Unfortunately, an Lp12 isn’t always plug&play but it is ALWAYS worth the the effort :+1:

……And I love the fact that the Nac52 earth connector came to the rescue. :grinning:

2 Likes

To be fair, once we knew we needed an earth that excluded both the arm lead and the phono stage itself, Hitesh went straight to the 52’s unused phono input earth point: this was not his first rodeo, even if he hadn’t come across this exact issue before.

The fact that there are no boards in that phono stage means it probably would not have occurred to me try it.

Just time for some Iggy Pop before bed.

2 Likes

That’s great news Nick. Now it’s time to forget how the hassle of getting here and enjoy being here! I can guess it sounds tremendous. Have fun.

1 Like

Finally I moberized and got an Exaktik or a Superiorik

6 Likes

4 Likes

What is the black finish that has been applied to the underside of the platter? Is it some sort of damping?

That’s the Mober equivalent of Linn’s “felt tape” to measure platter speed!

4 Likes

Any better answers?

There’s a review on enjoy the music dot com. It’s a speed checker system made by Mober, designed by Edmund Chan. I hadn’t heard of it or him before, but it’s pretty easy to search.

2 Likes

Like @sktn77a said
That’s the Mober equivalent of Linn’s “felt tape” to measure platter speed!
Like a strobe mark disc stuck under the platter. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Graham - Just to add to the posts above, it’s part of the speed control mechanism in the motors electronic power supply. Up until the introduction of the Radikal / Lingo 4, Linn relied on the accuracy of the motor control drive circuit to control the motor speed. Radikal / Lingo 4 onwards, they added a feedback loop using an optical sensor which detects a marker on the outer platter as it rotates. This allows more precise control of the speed. The Mober does the same thing, albeit with 16 markers.

The optical sensor is on the small assembly next to the motor pulley as @Don_Camillo posted in his picture copied below

4 Likes

Thank you, I watched that.

A different question!

I now have the Stiletto singing nicely, with its Lyra Kleos feeding my Superline. The Superline has a Z-foil airplug for resistance. A 576R plug seems to suit the Linn Krystal, but I am not sure that it’s right for the Kleos. I will try plug-juggling, but what loading does everyone else use?

1 Like

It´s a strobe disc that´s used by the motor controller to check and adjust speed 16 times per revolution what´s 16 times more often than with Linn Radikal or Lingo 4 :sunglasses:

1 Like

Or getting it wrong by over-adjusting 15 more times.

2 Likes

This is more a question of how the control loop is designed, but obviously Linn needs several revelations of the platter to adjust the speed, Mober can do it in less than one turn.

1 Like

I doubt that very much.