Show us your Sondek

Why the doubt, is there a technical reason you can share?

The man behind Mober says it takes about 10 seconds to lock the speed - about 5 revolutions.

One revelation per revolution should suffice.

3 Likes

That’s only upon start up, after that correction is an ongoing process.

1 Like

It only takes a couple of revs on my Lingo 4 to be at 33⅓ the next 20 seconds are spent making it more accurate - once the speed has been reached the LED dims to indicate that the required tolerance has been reached. The speed adjustments are small to avoid overshooting and to let the mass of the platter settle after the adjustment energy has been added.
Small adjustments with time to settle is good engineering practice - even my central heating thermostat has this type of algorithm.

If I slow the platter on the Mober during an LP side change does it get to 33⅓ dead within one rotation?

My Linn is slower changing to a settled 45rpm than it used to be.
Indicative of…new belt needed? Belt clean etc?

Try a belt clean first. It’s cheaper :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Wilco. Can’t hurt!

The Mober does not make one speed adjustment every 16th of a turn, instead the tachometer take readings every 16th of a turn which will considerably reduce the approximation error as compared to one reading per turn. Keep in mind the microprocessor (speed controller) doesn’t know what’s happening between readings, so it needs to interpolate, inevitably inducing quantization errors in the process which will increase with the sample time.

Once the speed data is fed into the Mober microprocessor, voltage adjustments will be made as often as 1/10th of a second. After the higher voltage start up stage has been completed, the voltage supply is constantly being adjusted either up or down, neglecting the overshoot effect as you describe it. The Lingo 4 uses an AC motor, which are easier to integrate but considerably noisier. Linn also uses a DC motor on the Radikal, made by the same manufacturer (Maxon) as the one Mober uses.

1 Like

You’d think then with this level of precision that there would not be any overshoot.
With 16 checks per second there should be enough time to ramp down the adjustments to smoothly arrive at 33⅓. Or 33.3 as Mober displays - hopefully that’s just a rounding error on the display.

Jesus! my Mober is better than your LP12 motor (& vice verca)…… It does make me laugh these posts, more like willy waving :rofl:. Get a life boys, they all play music and that’s what it’s about. Bring on the ridiculous comments please….

4 Likes

Better for wah wah music?

Nice one! In all honestly these are just the posts that have the PF’s in hysterics, ridiculous! (as well as the ‘look how much money I have’ posts etc).

1 Like

[quote=“Blackstar, post:2722, topic:7909, full:true”]
they all play music and that’s what it’s about. [/quote]

Yes they do but it´s funny to hear the NBC orchestra playing Beethoven at right tempo and rhythm where Toscanini tries to fiddle them into changing tempi all the time :rofl:

But I´m detecting wah wah secrets now on this one

Wow, is that right. What’s ‘tempi’? :rofl:

1 Like

This was just a discussion about LP12 speed control between Linn’s offerings and the third party Mober.

I’ll not lose any sleep over opinions on the Pink Flaps forum. :thinking::roll_eyes:

1 Like

I was hoping to lighten the mood rather than prolong the digs at each other. We all have our idiosyncrasies and some of us are just a little ocd in getting everything as controlled as we can.
NOTE: I say us and we
If we can’t laugh at ourselves occasionally what’s the point?

4 Likes

We were simply discussing how different products work, in fact no one even mentioned the word “better” until you arrived with your disrespectful trolling rampage, but at least you seem to be having fun which is a good thing.

2 Likes

You paint quite an image! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Music is the soundtrack to your life as well as hearing is believing. But it should always be fun :wink:

2 Likes