Show us your Sondek

Some snaps of my 41 year old Sondek. The only 2 original parts are the lid hinges and the outer platter. A proper Trigger’s Broom🤣

26 Likes

That’s a beautiful Plinth

Thank you. Simon Price SimPlinth in high gloss Indian rosewood. Very happy with it.

3 Likes

Back from my trip to Leicester, and Peter has upgraded my LP12 from ARad1 to ARad2. While there he checked suspension, cleaned my very grotty sytlus, made sure eveything was as it should be and sprinkled some Piksie Dust™ in there somewhere.

I blind tested the ARad1 vs ARad2 last week at Cymbiosis and the diference was immediately noticeable. Its a big diference and imo worth every penny of it.

Peter’s attention to even the tiniest detail is exemplary. Nothing seems to escape his notice and even the smallest adjustment is made to ensure the whole works perfectly. My thanks to Peter for a confidence inspiring job.

Up and running now and looking forward to some improved sounds. Oh, and I got one of those red mats. It too makes a demonstrable difference, so again a worthwhile purchase.

26 Likes

The Radikal 2 upgrade is a good one isn’t it. I went back to the Linn mat from the red one though.

2 Likes

Yes it is. It’s probably the most obvious upgrade I’ve ever heard. It is not subtle. I am enjoying it immensely. As for the red mat, that is a subtle difference but worthwhile having in my system.

2 Likes

I‘ m waiting to the Utopik availability for the Radikal before pulling the trigger on the ARad2 …

1 Like

Me too. To my ears the sound was different, not better, and the visual incongruity of the red mat irked me far more than it really should have done. That’s my issue I know.

2 Likes

The mark 2 upgrade is a corker isn’t it? Enjoy Graeme.

2 Likes

After my New Year’s Day mishap with the Troika the old girl is back home and on song. Newly installed Krystal but otherwise unchanged other than a fettle and set up.

The whole thing has been powered down since new years so the Olives will take a little time to come back to life and the cart is still new but I must say it’s all sounding mighty fine already. Not sure how many hours the Troika had on it but it is immediately obvious the difference the new cart has made so suspect it was a little worn out.

26 Likes

Machining those radiuses out during manufacture should a trivial matter… I agree it looks wrong…

I’ve never seen one of those before but we use a couple of suppliers at work that do very high spec machined construction laminates for us - I might have a word it looks great…

Don’t give Linn any ideas - I suspect they would already have done it if they could find a way to spell Bamboo with a K :joy:

2 Likes

What’s with the rounded corners at the armboard? Is this an early model or the latest. All reviews and pics I’ve seen of this previously were always squared off :man_shrugging:

Must be an early model. I’ve had mine for years. Can’t recall how long now.

There was the same issue with the early Tangerine Stiletto plinths, which just looked wrong. I even wrote to Tangerine Audio suggesting that the large radius would likely have an adverse impact on sales. Fortunately, this was addressed on subsequent models.

1 Like

:blush: I suggested they round the armboard to match.

1 Like

My old Dad used to have a Ferguson Studio 6 (i think that was the model, definitely a Ferguson anyway. My mates Mum worked at the company that built Ferguson’s

1 Like

Here is mine, cartridge is AT33 PNG, Karousel recently added to LP12.

23 Likes

Can’t go wrong with some nice oak.

1 Like

Thank you, the oak plinth replaced the Aformosia from the original deck, from 1981 I believe.

Now there are few parts left of the original, (outer platter, top plate, lid, hinges, cross brace, motor).

:grinning:

2 Likes

Cool, so is that the original LP12 motor before Valhalla?