Show us your Sondek

Very handsome. That doesn’t look like a standard Linn plinth.

This is a standard Linn plinth, weathering nicely after more than a decade.

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

AFAIK, the LP12 Motor did not change with Valhalla. Well… mine didn’t - and its still going, now with a Lingo.

But… YMMV, as always… :thinking:

Thinking back this IS the original motor, the 1981 deck came with the newly introduced Valhalla.

:slightly_smiling_face:

Valhalla was introduced in 1982…

Bloody facts… :expressionless:

2 Likes

Don’t think I worded that very well - I was curious if it was a Valhalla PSU or the original very basic pre-Valhalla motor.

If it is a Valhalla then Darran at Class A can service it using Linn-supplied parts. Never compared one to a Herc although my dealer told me they improved the Valhalla over its lifetime so there’s that to factor in.

That answers that then :slight_smile:

1 Like

It helps to own a 1981 (originally) pre-Valhalla deck, that had Valhalla fitted in 1982…! Early 82 decks were upgraded FOC, if they were pre-Valhalla, I recall…

1 Like

From today…

25 Likes

Those Linn arms (Ittok, I assume) do look the dogs’ doohdahs (but very different to the ARO which I have). And a Troika on board, I think.

1 Like

Looks the spitting image of mine before I replaced the Troika with a DV.

2 Likes

Looks to be very similar to my '81 LP12. Apart from the Troika…!

1 Like

Mines a mid eighties deck. I was wondering when the bottom of the plinth stopped being painted black? When I look at the later plinths, I always thing they are missing something :thinking:

2 Likes

4 Likes

My LP12, back from major transplant surgery, Lingo 4, Kore, Karosel, Trampolin 2, outer platter and a few other bits. Now only original bits are the smoked acrylic lid, top plate and plinth and of course the box it left the factory in 1979. Sounds significantly better whilst I am significantly poorer :smiley_cat:

11 Likes

I agree. The black edge sets the plinth off perfectly. As an experiment I used black insulating tape on my new Linn fluted plinth. Looks much better to me - when I stop being lazy, I’ll get some paint and do it permanently

3 Likes

On the eve of a celebratory event I just want to wish the LP12 a Happy 50th birthday.:birthday:

I’m only 41 years in but think it’s simplicity and complexity looks great from any angle I reckon.

Looking forward to hearing what they have in store for yet further improvements to its already astounding quality.

24 Likes

A fine example! Which plinth is that?

1 Like

It’s a Simon Price SimPlinth in high gloss Indian rosewood. Had it about 2 years and love it.

4 Likes

Gorgeous