Show us your Sondek

My 41 year old outer platter has never been polished and now has a level of patina / burnish that weirdly makes me happy.

But, in the grand scheme of things, it’s not something that causes me sleepless nights.

Highly polished outer platters do look nice but I’m content with my vintage version.

The only other original part of my LP12 is the lid hinges🤣

14 Likes

As does my 42 year old one… (bought Nov’81).

2 Likes

Be interested to hear if anyone has tried to lap the joint between the inner and outer platter to achieve a perfect fit, or is that a bridge too far🤔

I have to admit that I do like to let time make its mark on things. I love the exotic wood plinths and shiny platters but the stand out deck on this forum, by a very large margin, is @TheKevster’s sun bleached dried wood afromosia fluted deck. It’s a thing of rare beauty in my mind.

I would never deliberately damage or sabotage an item, but I do love to watch entropy in action.

Dull and perhaps marked platters are the way to go!

5 Likes

That is very kind of you @Graeme – I do rather love my fruitbox, with its patinas of age. Same with my old Leica M9 camera, which is a bit battered, but definitely used, and definitely loved.

Something that looks as though it has enjoyed use is definitely appealing. I’m not really one for shiny, blingy things.

3 Likes

Seems we have an accord there!

1 Like

I had to replace my 79 vintage outer platter earlier this year because the Lingo 4 sensor couldn’t accurately distinguish between the black sticker and the platter. My LP12 only has 3 original main components left now, the plinth, top plate and Lid inc hinges.

A few years back my dealer came by with a new LP12 platter, lighter than my 35 year old original and supposedly better sounding. Neither of us could hear a difference (and he’s much better than I am at e.g. distinguishing the “good” side of the mat from the “bad”).

Although my outer platter slips on and off easily, the fit is tight enough that I’m unable to get the thinnest feeler gauge blade between them. I even tried folding a single piece of foil over the inner, but no luck. I wonder if this is a good thing for SQ and maybe related to the absence of the expected improvement of new over old?

As an aside, about every quarter, I clean the belt with distilled water and polish the platter mating surfaces and the pulley surface with isopropyl. This always brings a worthwhile improvement, of the “why don’t I do this more often?” kind.

Re clocking in general, my understanding is that this brings a very slight improvement, smaller than siding the mat or orienting the belt. As I doubt my abilities with the latter two, I’ve never bothered with it. That said, I always align my inner and outer platter the same way, via a pencil mark, solely to forestall “hmm, system doesn’t sound as good today, maybe I should try clocking the platter” :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Hi
I’m no advocate at Clocking it was just a “tweak” I had been told about but never tried.
I find the whole ritual thing of playing an LP these days pretty laughable and usually perpetrated by a generation newer to the format spreading Chinese whispers and taking them as gospel.
I was being a bit tongue in cheek as I know Peter very well.
I think as long as the two surfaces meet with no lateral movement then that is best we don’t want the platter able to orbit like an LP with an off centre hole.
I get the mat side thing but many others are really just too much free time and a vivid imagination.
I think what you are doing is admirable and good common sense. :+1:t2:

2 Likes

I feel fortunate to have obtained some Analogue Innovations In-Soles to try in my 35 year old LP12 before the owners recent passing.

My LP12 has never sounded better and I can’t think of a Linn upgrade that would correct the fundamental issues the springs cause. It’s really like having an entirely new turntable.

5 Likes

How do they work @John76 ?

They replace the Linn suspension parts and the “porch rocker” effect they cause. The deck is no longer bouncy and I imagine my belt will last longer and degrade less over time as it is no longer being stretched during startup or from changing records.

The pitch of notes are more in tune, the music is easier to follow and lyrics are more intelligable.

1 Like

Is this not one of those controversial mods as far as Linn ‘Aficionados’ are concerned. As the LP12 was designed as a sprung suspension deck?
I must admit, I’ve never owned a non sprung deck and am intrigued by this mod…:thinking:

That’s really interesting - I didn’t know that could done to an LP12. So all of the springs / suspension components have been completely replaced I assume?

I am sceptical. It changes the fundamental design of the LP12.

I have resisted even trying these. However, given my ‘trust your ears’ schtick, I am in no position to be rude about them. Has anyone tried the little mushroom-oids and not liked them?

1 Like

Not at all - it’s still suspension, just somewhat stiffer!

Seriously, I would also be intrigued to hear more about these. Anyone else heard them? What do they cost?

Analogue Innovation is out of business, but if you want to pursue a similar path check the Audio Silente Silicone Mushrooms (TD124 version). Silicone is a better isolator IME, and should outlast rubber. My only concern is that you would need be extremely careful every time the outer platter is replaced, without the springs to brake the fall the slightest slip may nick and damage the bearing’s thrust plate.

That may be the case, but it is changing the basic design of the LP12, which I think is an inherently bad idea.

1 Like

I think not letting the ears be the judge is the real inherently bad idea.

3 Likes