Show us your Sondek

:popcorn:

3 Likes

:rofl: :rofl:

5 Likes

Yes, but so are most of the subsequent Linn upgrades to the LP12 (relative to the original design and dogma).

1 Like

…but many aftermarket 3rd party LP12 upgrades are extensions modifications of the original design principles, such as the Stiletto. Principally the same engineering with different materials, at least that’s my understanding. :man_shrugging:t4:

Most upgrades to the LP12 are to improve on what is there already.

The In-Soles change the basic design.

1 Like

Let’s not forget the LP12 was put together through adaptation of design principles from several other manufacturers, it was born from tinkering and meant to be tinkered with. The notion of an integral “design principle” conceived by Linn does not stand historical scrutiny.

4 Likes

Fair point.

1 Like

I suspect that most or all here would support any change to an LP12 that actually made it sound better to our ears. Some may believe in these things and some may not (including at least some who have, like me, never heard whether it works better or not).

I can’t agree that changing anything is an inherently bad idea, but I can imagine that I might well agree that it doesn’t work after having heard the effect.

Should we do a poll of those who have heard these things to see who likes the effect and who didn’t?

2 Likes

A/B LP 12 Mods Poll
Tickets free, bring your own Popcorn :popcorn: :wink:

1 Like

@NickofWimbledon
I suspect most Linn dealers would frown upon such a mod and discourage customers who wanted them installed in their deck. There is a Linn dealer LinnArts who is more open to third party mods and sells the alternative suspension parts like the Analogue Innovations In-Soles and Audio Silente Mushrooms. He also sells the spacers/distances that are necessary when installing the In-Soles or Mushrooms with Tiger Paw or Tangerine Audio top plates which use suspension bolts not made entirely of threads. He is pretty active on the “Linn Sondek LP12” Facebook group which is where I found out about the spacers I needed for my particular installation.

From what I gather there are likely hundreds of folks who have installed either In-Soles or mushrooms in their LP12. I suspect most of them were folks comfortable working on their own LP12 and installed them on their own.

4 Likes

Ivor would throw a wobbler every time anyone dared to modify the LP12 - eg bolting the armboard to the Liberty Bell (sorry, subchassis)! :rofl:

I have a set of silicone mushrooms on order, so I can compare the before and after.

5 Likes

About a decade ago I tried three different third-party components, the Tiger Paw Khan, the sKale, and a mat whose name I forget. I gave each a good long tryout. All three brought something worthwhile to the table (pun not intended), but in each case I felt that the whole was less than the sum of the parts and I eventually got rid of them. No regrets.

I really dislike the tendency towards dogma in audio and, much as I appreciate the contributions of the flat earth school of the 1980s, I find the near-religious attitude hard to stomach. So even though I’ve largely lost interest in third party components in my own system, I try to keep an open mind, and applaud all those tinkerers willing to stick their necks out.

4 Likes

26 Likes

The outer rim of my LP12 platter has accumulated finger smudges over the years, which I don’t much like the look of. (I think that they factory-applied varnish has all but gone.)

Is there any Linn-approved way of cleaning it, so the it looks more like the platter in Christopher M’s B/W photo above?

Or should I just go at it with T-Cut?

I’d perhaps give something like ‘Duraglit’ a go before I attacked it with something as aggressive as T Cut Graham🤔

Agree with @QuickSticks on the T-cut. I’ve had excellent results with MAAS metal polish after being recommended it by a friend who was put onto it by Rega. It’s not cheap at £25 a tube, but it really works and is very good at preventing tarnishing thereafter.

Thank you, QS and BBW. I have Peter Swain of Cymbiosis coming to instal a second LP12 for me soon, so I will seek his advice too.

2 Likes

My camera put the shine on :slight_smile:

1 Like

You could try polishing it. Then you could ask Peter to bring a new one with him when he visits. They’re £243.60 according to his website.