Show us your Sondek

The Jelco?

Yep

1 Like

As a understand it, convention suggests that’s not where most good musicians will be.

3 Likes

@Ian2001 @Murmur It is indeed the Jelco SA-250ST in the Linn edition which was mostly down to cosmetic changes. A nice arm, Jelco made some good stuff, too bad the company went down early this decade. In the year they were supposed to celebrate their 100th anniversary even!

A picture I had posted earlier in this thread already, my Jelco on the left, Majik Krane in the middle, Majik Jelco on the right. I have no picture of the Majik Pro-Ject 9cc. For years my dealer, who builds to order, had used the regular version of the Jelco as his entry option, with the Pro-Jects going on used Basik and Axis decks or sold off. Supposedly that’s were they got the idea in Scotland :slight_smile:

@Oleg_Winkler How is the VP Revolution power supply? Together with the Minos/Zeus it looks to be the only affordable alternative available now. That is when you have/want to go Karousel and want to stay with an inboard power supply. So the button light is green? (thought it would be blue)

7 Likes

Hi Peter,
I hope you are well. Belated congrats to yourself and Alison!

I’m sure you saw the exchanges with @110dB on the Solstice thread re possibly getting a new run of heavier counterweights made for Aro2. It struck me that the existing Aro2 c/w is almost the same weight as the elusive heavy Aro1 c/w.

I believe Steve said that the thread of both Aro’s are identical, so they should be interchangeable, but I may have misunderstood what he wrote. Can you confirm/deny that the threads are the same on both?

If so, any chance that Naim could be persuaded to make a few more extra standard issue Aro2 c/w’s available to be sold as heavy Aro1 c/w’s?
It’s a long shot I know, but wouldn’t it be nice…?
Kevin

1 Like

That seems a very sensible suggestion. I would buy one, not for any immediate need, but simply to have the option in the future.

Blue 33rpm, green 45rpm.

1 Like

Just to keep the pictures going (and to indulge a little). It’s subjective I know but the Sondek is ‘the’ most beautiful ‘purest’ piece of hifi for me. I did have a 1979 fluted LP12 bought new which I failed to upgrade over the years whilst the kids were growing up. When I was able to upgrade 7/8 years ago I opted to exchange for an oak/Kore, keeping my Lingo 1 (Class A serviced) & early Ekos (Linn serviced). I never considered any other turntable. I doubt I ever will. Oak is such a beautiful wood. I’m still off the pace of course, Karousel bearing required (I’ll probably do that at some point) & Keel/Radikal (doubt I’ll ever do those). Anyway, a picture:

26 Likes

Lovely…
Actually, the solid oak plinth looks clean and simple. Very Nice.

TBH, I feel the same way, about the LP12 as a piece of HiFi.
The Linn LP12, (appears to me at least), one of the most attractive objects out there.
How a turntable should be…
I really cherish mine. It’s quite handsome. And it makes wonderful music too.
For me, LP12’s looks best with an Ittok or an Ekos. So, liking yours…

Now I know someone else feels the same way :+1:
Thanks for sharing.

BW
R

edit : I also quite like the way you have arranged your pieces, on that oak rack, (in “System Pics”).
Nice mix of CB and Classic items too.

5 Likes

‘Cherish’ is a great description. Thanks for the comments.

VP is very good. The Revolution II version also fits the Karusel Bearing. PSU has two modes, blue light lights at 33.3 RPM and green light at 45 RPM. Quality is excellent and the price is great. I was looking for a way to listen to the 45 Records without moving the Belt. Lingo 4 is very expensive and I don’t really have space in the rack for Lingo 1-3. So I’m absolutely happy with it. You can upgrade to a carousel later if you want.

1 Like

If I were you, I’d sell my granny (or other close relative) to raise funds for the Keel. There is very little of my LP12 remaining of the deck that I bought from Subjective Audio in Camden over 30 years ago, but the Keel (for ARO) was the biggest single step by far.

2 Likes

That sounds a bit radical tbh. On a practical note did you move from the original sub chassis to Keel or did you try a Kore on the way?

I went straight to the Keel. Ray Horn (from my then dealers, Grahams in Islington), and Peter Swain (from Cymbiosis) were instrumental in persuading Linn to produce the Keel For ARO, despite Linn’s initial misgivings.

I think that Linn hoped originally that ARO users wanting the greatly improved Keel subchassis would be persuaded to move to a Linn tonearm. But experience tends to show that ARO users are seldom persuaded to change.

2 Likes

I was thinking whilst the improvement from original to Keel might be huge & therefore decent VFM the move from Kore to Keel would inevitably be smaller and therefore less/questionable VFM? At £3,240 it would cost more than I paid for my complete LP12. I struggle to get my head round that tbh or to justify the expenditure to my wife. I’m not sure my hearing’s Keel standard either :smiley:

1 Like

Now you know why I pushed so hard and lent Linn two Aro’s for their research for it Graham!

1 Like

Kore is about 80% of what Keel brings, or so I’ve read. I went from Kore to Keel, but also Krystal to Kandid at the same time so the ensuing benefits were a mashup of the two upgrades (a very, very satisfying mashup!)

3 Likes

Thank you Kevin, Alison and I are very happy and I have asked the question. I’ll let you know when Salisbury reply with an answer.

KR,

Peter

1 Like

No not 80% - That suggests a poorly set up keel in the comparison. IMHO it’s 66% or 2/3 whichever way you like to express it. The Keel is way better in every respect.

2 Likes

Thanks Peter :+1:t5:
That’ll teach me to be more circumspect reading online reviews, lol.

1 Like