Show us your Sondek

I will beg to differ, if I may…?

My LP12 was - until 2018 - well behind the curve (pre-Cirkus/Valhalla). So I have been playing ‘catch up’. The first move was to get the Cirkus bearing (for £490 - this was pre the release of the Karousel). I then got my Valhalla serviced, with new caps, etc - while I looked for a good pre-loved Lingo. I then found a Lingo (£350), got that serviced. Next I looked for a Kore. Once I found that (£550), I had it fitted, so my deck came apart & was re-set up.

Thats enough - for me, for now… :crazy_face:

YMMV, etc.

3 Likes

Posted this before but this pic shows how versatile an LP12 is, a brilliant music-playing machine and a perfect perch for a kitten to look out of the window from. Since I got a cover for it, they rarely sit on the deck. Eagle-eyed folk will see a white fibre optic cable terribly dressed, done to prevent little explorers from repeatedly pulling it out of the socket. Fortunately, now they are bigger they don’t go behind the rack often now.

It also shows why SCM40s are loved by petite panthers and for my benefit the metal grills are immune kitten-type modifications to grills and drive units.

17 Likes

Mine again.

28 Likes

@Paul52135 is that an Ikea bamboo chopping block the LP12 is sitting on? Is there anything between the LP12 feet and block?

Hi, yes it is. I have a SRM Tech Silent base fitted which has three spiked feet which sit on the bamboo. The bamboo has three silicon sticky feet.

4 Likes

There are some very stylish LP12s on view here.

I have just finished committing the ultimate heresy of polishing the outer rim of my LP12’s platter. It now has a very satisfactory gleam. I know that this is ‘not the done thing’, as there is a protective lacquer applied to the rim, but mine is over 30 years old and was looking very ‘blotchy’, although I try never to touch it.

I may now have to repeat the process every so often, if there is any oxidisation, but that will be no great hardship.

(If anyone else wishes to follow me in sin, I used T Cut to clean off the marks and bring up the shine, left it for 24 hours, then applied Renaissance micro-crystalline wax polish, left it to dry hard, and buffed it up with kitchen paper towels.)

5 Likes

There are some very nice fluted plinths on this thread but I think the flutes suit your wood grain particularly well. What is the wood itself, please?

So here’s our old girl. 1983 vintage. Trampolin, Kore, Karousel, Radikal2, Krystal. Original plinth and Ittok which will not be replaced.

22 Likes

Not sure 100% what the wood is. I always assumed it was Afromosia. It’s an 80s deck so that’s more than likely.

What a classic! l How are the bearings on your 40-year-old Ittok holding up?

Audio Origami used to provide a service to refurbish old Linn arms like yours, but I don’t know if the company still exists these days.

PS Audio Origami still exists, and is re-making the Syrinx tonearm, which was reputed to be a bugg*r to set up, and would go out of kilter if you so much as looked at it!

3 Likes

Thanks Graham. It was given a clean bill of health when the Radikal2 was fitted. As I understand it the Ittok bearings are no longer available.

Respect :+1:

1 Like

It could be Afro - there was a fair bit of variation, but that looks very much like Walnut to me?

2 Likes

And looks excellent for it! :+1:

Oh go on then!
Best photo I have of her, so sorry for using it again!

24 Likes

You know what, I really hope it is Walnut as it is my favourite wood. The grain has that shadowy rays effect but I can’t be sure. Most Afro plinths don’t seem to have this but I’m pretty sure that the majority of plinths of that era were Afro. I like it anyway. :blush:

2 Likes

Another Wenge

18 Likes

Snap! I have a Wenge plinth, from Solid Sounds near Leeds. Who made yours, if I may ask?

It’s a lovely grained wood, but I fear that it is now classified as ‘endangered’, so no more Wenge plinths for the foreseeable future, sadly.

Graham, it’s a Chris Harban/Woodsong one. About 12 years old now. Love the pattern of the grain and the depth of the colour

2 Likes

Thanks for that. I may have asked before, as my memory is no longer as good as it used to be!

2 Likes