Show us your Sondek

YYZ = Toronto Pearson International Airport.
Great instrumental. Brilliant guitar work. :+1:
Personally, prefer The Camera Eye, like the way it builds…

@QuickSticks and other Rush fans here would be proud

Yes, there seems to be a nice synergy between things of a certain era. Including the recordings. Although, lots of more modern things in the world of vinyl maybe great or maybe improved on 30-40 years ago, it almost seems the late 80s - early 90s when vinyl reached a zenith, things work well together. That idea maybe inspired us to build a vinyl first system : LP12 - Naim Olive - Epos ES14’s. Perhaps a homage to that period. A lovely synergy results. Almost like they were made for each other ( which they actually were :wink: ).

Other more modern Naim pieces we have, lend themselves more to digital sources. I’d even go as far as saying TT manufacturers should resist trying to make things sound more and more like digital. (Which has maybe been a trend in recent years).

Hahaha :joy:
Sounds like you’re having fun thinking about it.
As it is, it’s still great. Or add a few bits and improve things. There’s no right or wrong. Just what you wish to do, for fun.

FWIW, if you decide to fettle and fiddle, those ideas are probably about right. Good luck.

Keep sharing your thoughts …
It’s interesting to follow the journey.

Best wishes
R

3 Likes

Firstly @Mike_S, congratulations on your LP12 and what an excellent album to experience what appears to be an epiphany :wink:
As to next steps, I ran my LP12 for 2 years with its original Mose Hercules II PS, before upgrading it to the Lingo 4 and was stunned by the performance uplift. I specced mine with Karousel & Trampolin-2 and it sounds absolutely amazing.
BUT
We have a second 80’s LP12 on my wife’s system and that is Cirkus, Ittock LVII, standard base etc and also sounds quite wonderful on her 202/200 system.
LP12’s for me sound great, doing the analog thing better than most. To twiddle or not to twiddle is the question. I probably will do some upgrades next year, but I really don’t have to. I could be quite happy leaving mine where they are and just enjoying the music.
Have fun, whatever you decide to do😉

5 Likes

More paradoxes and choices.

Just finished another test run with Eloy’s “Floating” - another mint 1974 that I played the CD rip off on my ND555 a few weeks ago. The vinyl just immersed me into the music.

Tomorrow I want to have a thorough bass workout, probably Budgies “Never Turn Your Back on a Friend” where Burke Shelley plays bass like a lead guitar.

1 Like

In the 1990’s I had LP12/Ittok/ATOC9.

Difficult to make a realistic comparison to what I have now given the passage of time, but today’s Sondek is a different beast to what you have now.

I would suggest listening to a current Sondek if you haven’t already done so and determine if you like the current presentation.

FWIW I would consider a new cartridge and a service to your deck at this stage.

2 Likes

I’ve purchased a used LP12 in black and have installed a Lingo 3, Aro and Troika. Not used yet as I sold my amps and waiting for a new one early January. Want to get a Karousel and new plinth sometime next year. Was looking to get a fluted in either oak or black. Just wondering if anyone here has that finish plinth they could add picture so I can get a better look. Also is anyone using mober parts.

2 Likes

There you go - this is a Simon Price fluted walnut plinth and like you have with the ARO arm and now the Linn Kandid cartridge

Picture possibly doesn’t do the plinth justice - I love it

20 Likes

I’ve seen a fluted walnut and it does look very nice as I can see but my speakers are combination of oak and black.

My Started in 1987 Deck. :heart_eyes:

8 Likes

I think if fluted go for either walnut or oak but can’t say I’ve ever seen an oak one

Mine from a year ago but nothing much has changed. Black Linn special edition plinth with Karousel, Aro Krystal etc. Still using my Armageddon power supply and still sounding pretty fab!

14 Likes

That look’s like mine @Bevo, I wonder if it’s walnut too?

No I think yours is the original afromosia wood but yes can look quite walnut

My mate has the same wood as yours

3 Likes

Something about the ARO and Geddon combo Geko

Mine sounds rather wonderful also

1 Like

Also got this plinth hidden away which I had on Sondek now replaced with walnut plinth

It’s a Simon Price Birds Eye Maple

When I get bored with the walnut Harry will change for me :grinning:he loves it

18 Likes

Audio Origami

Sure. What about AO…
What would you like to know?

In the new year I’ll bring my other Sondek back into Sydney I have never had them side by side listening so that might be interesting :flushed::flushed:

1 Like

You said

I asked “are you sure about that” as I’m not convinced that they have.

That’s useful to know …
What are your thoughts - have you heard AO are still doing Ittok refurb’s ? Do share such news.

For my part, was repeating something learned from elsewhere (in this forum) in that previous post.

FWIW, Johnnie refurbished our Ittok, in late 2020. He did a great job and we were really thankful. It would be great if AO were still able to do such things. He’s such a nice bloke.

In the meantime, there is now an alternative with “ The HiFi Gallery “. Myself and @Tanktop73 were just sharing that idea for anyone interested.

Hope that helps
R

1 Like

That’s a very nice plinth, @Bevo, and a great arm/cartridge combination too.

1 Like