Show us your Sondek

Graham
Super picture. Thanks for sharing.
You can share as many photos of - LP12 - Aro - Troika - as you like :+1:

Best wishes
R

3 Likes

Yes, each is “best in class”, as they say at Cruft’s or livestock auctions!

2 Likes

Congratulations Graham, on finally posting a pic under your own steam! Easier than you thought eh? :wink:

Nice-looking rack - is it an audio one or co-opted? Looks like the wood block is spiked, so I’d guess the former…

4 Likes

I’ve been practising and posting elsewhere, so you’re lucky not to have got the (recently redecorated) exterior of my house by mistake!

The ‘rack’ is a very solidly constructed oak table built for me by a very clever handyman in London, expressly for my older LP12, which is why it is the size that is.

The photo also shows my Japanese-built Ortofon MC step up transformer, and a Nait 50. There’s also an Armageddon for the LP12 immediately below the Nait.

I’m trying to find a wider support table (to sit next to, or replace, the one in the photo), so that everything is at a more convenient height.

18 Likes

Well done !!!

best wishes

Ian

Hello, Ian, I thought that you had disappeared off to Malta, or is my poor old brain letting me down again?

1 Like

There’s ‘just something’ about the aesthetics of the Troka!

1 Like

Hi Graham, I was posting some images from my holiday and we were talking about photo editing - so I was shown some images of what my photos could have looked like.

So you weren’t wrong

Glad to see your “new” turntable , we need to see the Falcons next

I’m sure that it would be a money spinner if Linn were to bring out a ‘new’ version.

It’s perfect for the ARO - which I think Guy Lamotte designed around the Troika over thirty years ago.

Here’s one of them on its stand.

I’m feeling stupidly pleased with myself at knowing how to post photos, thanks to some very helpful Members here!

16 Likes

Do they work that close to the wall (always like to keep up to date with speakers that do!) or are they just stored like that?

The Owners Manual recommends 18" from side and rear walls, and 8’ to 12’ apart. I moved them much closer to the wall, to bring out the bass response, which is now thunderous for such small cabinets.

1 Like

First of all, congratulations with the LP12 Mike, it’s a journey that many made Rega Planar 3 to LP12.

Secondly I think you see things exactly right, the economics simply don’t work out. That may be a minority view and in the LP12 world most will get you on the upgrade path right away.

My recommendation would be to first enjoy what you have now, get used to it, provided there are indeed no issues with it.

Then IMO it makes far more sense to sell, trade-in or repurpose this LP12 and indeed buy a brand new complete Majik LP12 in your desired plinth version. Include two upgrades with that from the start: the Lingo 4 power supply and the Trampolin 2 base plate. Dealer will give you a good package deal.

Keep that for the rest of your life, it will be an extremely competent record player already. If you then ever feel an itch to upgrade further by all means do, who knows where you might bring it.

Finally I second the most basic recommendation I read - get a decent record cleaning machine!

Enjoy spinning LPs again over Christmas (ps: did you ever replace the arm on your Rega?).

3 Likes

Thanks, sounds worthwhile for the extra bass :+1:

Thanks for that @daddycool. I did get the LP12 cheap though, so a new Majik plus Lingo and Trampoline 2 would be NZ$10.5K. Upgrading my LP12 to the same spec would be $7.2K including the purchase price of the LP12 ($1.3K) and I think I have a better arm anyway. Adding the Kore to mine would get me above the Akurate spec for $9.0K all up, compared to a new Akurate for $15.5K and close to the Seleck at $20.6K with a slighter better arm. So, if investing, upgrading i probably best since I got such a good buy on the base LP12.

But, I also agree with this for the meantime:

Yes, I think that is in the mix.

No. Actually I was going to try a new MC on it, but the LP12 including a MC was actually cheaper! The Rega 3 is now in the games room with the Star.

2 Likes

I’d keep the Ittok arm anyday over changing to Majik arm. My dealer was certainly of this opinion recently when we were chatting.

Assuming the Ittok’s in good fettle of course

6 Likes

I am very pleased for you. I have seen some of your equipment , I have some very dodgy knees and I was very sorry that I could take no more than the photos of your cameras , on the other hand I am very wary of stairs

2 Likes

Which you will have to have serviced at cost in the UK. No Ittok with unknown history will be in optimal condition. Also the deck (top plate, motor) and cabling is all from someone somewhere sometime and might be ok-ish.

Many of the recommendations you received are from forum members who bought their LP12 new, so that was their clean sheet start. Over the decades they followed the upgrades path with sometimes only the top plate left in place and that’s ok.

I proposed a clean sheet 100% perfect start for you as well, your first brand new LP12 not someone else’s, which history you will write. That’s worth a little extra money in my view - and it will be an easier start as well. The proposed starting point, as said, might surprise you as a very competent record playing whole (despite forum folklore about individual components), Linn knows their stuff.

Just some thoughts over Christmas, in any case nice to see you spinning vinyl again!

2 Likes

Yes, it certainly has merit. More to mull over in the holidays :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Chatted with my Linn dealer and he explained how to check the belt and pulley, using the drooping test :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::+1:, which I did and it was all good. He said not to use the Rega mat as it is quite a bit thicker :flushed::flushed:. So I’ve put the old mat back on with the thinnest double sided tape our hardware shop had :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:. Weirdly, it now sounds punchier and has eased back on the top edge a bit, to what I was more looking for. Quite bizarre, maybe it’s all in the mind, or mains variation - who knows. We did wonder if the mat is not the proper LP12 one - will sort that out when I get the LP12 down to him next year.

Anyway, it sounds really good. One of my test tracks “Dreams” is more engaging on vinyl on a manky old LP12 than the ND555 :flushed::flushed:.

10 Likes