Show us your Sondek

JRR Tolkien was a (former) Fellow of my College at Oxford (Merton). The boat that I rowed in for Eights Week was The Lady Galadriel!

6 Likes

They are open from Tuesday 10am Graham. Let’s see what John says. He has been very good with my LP12.

Thank you, Dan. How are you keeping?

2 Likes

Lol.

Hi Graham, doing okay. Been wallpapering listening room with my son yesterday. Was back at work on friday. Cracking on with the new year. Op should be around end of month! No date as yet. Had to pack system away wednesday for redecoration. Set it back up last night! How are you Graham?

3 Likes

Good to hear that you’re getting on with your life, Dan.

I’m powering on!

1 Like

Actually Yak hair might have been a rather good USP.

Yeti hair even more so!

1 Like

Graham,
The detail of the line is given on the GA drawing, above. I am sure that with a little patience you could make one yourself.

5 Likes

I think that I’d probably screw up big time. I’ve seen a couple on FleaBay, so I’ve put in a bid.

I think Naim have run out of stock of the Aro filament line, I asked a few years ago. A reel of the recommended fishing line per drawing does the trick (short length with knot at one end and loop at the other).

If your bids fail, you really should try to make one. You should tie the loop round a suitably sized piece of piano wire 8 or 10swg, perhaps, and slide it off once knotted. Add a dab of superglue to the knot. If you mess up, no worries as you’ll probably have to buy a 50m reel, which would make more than a few!

1 Like

Well, my LP12 sounds different to when I first got it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. The low end is now much more solid with punch, and the over emphasised treble has tamed. Not sure what has happened here? Either the cartridge was never fully played-in, or I’ve also read about bearings needing to play in. If it hadn’t been used for some time, is there such a thing as burn-in on a used LP12 after it hasn’t been used, or shifted around and re-setup?

Anyway, it is all sounded very nice and I’ve ordered some more vinyl🙄. New Collaro mat should be here this week. Also wondering whether to grab a new belt, for no other reason than it’s an old LP12 and there is a new one available on-line privately at half price.

4 Likes

Get the new belt Mike if it’s new , not sure how you check that though

2 Likes

It’s shown in a sealed package, but no logo on the package, so not sure if it’s a orginal Linn one. How are they normally packaged? I know the Rega ones come in a bag with a logo on it…

I have no idea how they are packaged unfortunately Mike / not much help to you at all

1 Like

Ours which was definitely a genuine one, came in a small resealable plastic bag - no logo, if that helps. Remember they are sided if you do replace it. Link here to an old thread https://community.naimaudio.com/t/lp12-belt-which-side/221

5 Likes
1 Like

I think that Tolkien and C S Lewis used to meet in that pub. They called themselves ‘Inklings’.

4 Likes

I can’t ever remember a Sondek belt coming in a bag with a logo.

Most of the ones I’ve ever bought probably came out of a larger plastic bag in a dealer’s drawer put into a smaller one!

1 Like

Clear bag no logo £50.

1 Like