Show us your Sondek

My old fruitbox has a 1986 fluted Afrormosia plinth and has been gradually upgraded

Although I’m delighted with the sound as it stands, I’m still looking forward to investigating what a Karousel can do.

25 Likes

Linn LP12, Basik arm & cart purchased 1985, upgraded to Ekos/Troika '90 and Cirkus, Armageddon and Prefix K 2008. Still sounding v. good.

23 Likes

20 Likes

just seen this on my dealers web page - two greats Linn Keel for NAIM Aro - he has just got some New Keel’s in stock, I know Keel is my next move from Kore with my deck

9 Likes

I made the same swap in the last batch of Keel/A that Peter ordered. I’d get a deposit in soon to reserve one if I were you.

3 Likes

Thanks @Clive I have Ekos SE arm but the plan is to move from Kore to Keel at some point

My piggy back is now empty with some incoming T505 from @Cymbiosis

3 Likes

Well perhaps you won’t need to rush then. In the case of Keel/A I know that Linn only orders them when there’s a significant batch order. At least with a Linn tone arm, Keels should be more readily available.

So you are getting a T505!!! Congrats @Antz in advance!

1 Like

Yes collect them (safely) on 27th from @Cymbiosis will post when in the system

2 Likes

I’m not an LP12 owner but I’d just like to say how I’m in awe of the decks shown here. I envy you all. When I first started in HiFi (late 70’s) the dream then was to have an LP12 but, starving student &c., I didn’t know anyone that had one. I had an Ariston RD80 which was as close as I could get to an LP12. In fact it wasn’t until the mid 80’s I actually saw one in the flesh at a friends house. Then fast forward to about a decade ago and I saw one in my local NAIM dealership. I just stood there mesmerized. It was like finally coming face-to-face with your super hero.

15 Likes

I suspect many of us here know what you mean. The LP12 has always had something about it and looks just right to me, even after 3+ decades of ownership.

5 Likes

They are indeed beautiful things. I have only been lusting after one for a decade, but I feel your pain. I eventually bit the bullet and ordered one in January, carefully specing it with my dealer. I set my budget…then totally blew it. In fairness to my dealer, he has held me back and tried to keep me on a sensible track, but what can you do. So incoming is a Simplinth, Karousel, Radikal, TA Plateau, Ittok, Krystal, Urika, Chord Epic. :grimacing:.
What i do know is that its possible to get a great LP12 for a lot less money, and the right dealer will build you a cracker for a modest budget.
Hopefully my dream LP12 will be here in a few weeks and I can lose myself in some records and stave off the upgradeitis, but I’m not making any promises.

11 Likes

Yes… I sense that once you’re on the LP12 road then it looks like there’s virtually no end to the list of expensive upgrades you can then add on. :wink:

Good luck sticking to your, current, budget :slight_smile:

1 Like

Back in the day, when I had an LP12, a tradesman came to do some electrical work, took one look at my LP12 and bowed towards it.

I’ve made two hifi mistakes I really regret, one was trading in my LP12 which was promptly broken up for spares

2 Likes

@anon4216120 I too had an Ariston RD 80 before my LP12, must dig out a picture of it!

3 Likes

27 Likes

Nice, very nice - a labour of love methinks

Not hard to spend nearly £30K on an LP12 if you go for all the 3rd party options.
When I bought my first one back in the early 1980s the basic deck without arm or cartridge cost in the region of £250.
The march of time.

1 Like

Not sure how much a ‘starter’ LP12 with a half decent arm and cartridge would set you back now… Actually a bit of google and

4 Likes

If I had the money I’d be tempted to get one just as a gorgeous piece of living room furniture. :slight_smile:

4 Likes