Show us your Sondek

Kuma

I am very seriously impressed. A close friend who also happened to be my Naim dealer sold me his LP-12 setup jig when he retired. I have not yet had the courage to play with it as I still have two quality Linn dealers up the coast in Los Angeles. But you have given me hope!

Again, great job.

Clay

1 Like

Hello.
My humble contribution to the thread…

A friend of mine, one day, asked me if I would be interested in owning a LP12.
Why not?
Mine was (re) made with all the parts that coming from his successive upgrades.
I started with Cirkus, Akito 2, Klyde, Valhalla.
3 years later and after few upgrades, the LP12 is on top : lingo, trampoline 2, and the massive upgrade in SQ the Ekos 2.

The next step in the way of fine tuning my old LP could be a new motor and a better cartridge to fit well with the Ekos. When? Don’t know, because actually I’m very happy with it, and it’s not an urgent thing.

14 Likes

Thanks jcn3. It was made by Ash Designs. Before Fraim Naim used them a lot. Sadly no longer in production but you might find them second hand.

1 Like

Here is my 1992 deck:

Fluted Walnut Plinth
Cirkus
Tramp 2
Lingo 2
Kore
Ekos 1.5 (It’s a Mk1 with Mk2 bearings)
Dynavector DV-20X2H
And most important the Magic touch of Peter Swain

30 Likes

All of them with a picture…

2 Likes

I really like the look too, which is why we want to get one. Has that retro/Bauhaus/mid-century look. A design classic for sure.

2 Likes

I’ve got a couple of those Ash Designs racks. I think they were initially sold by ‘Henley Designs’.

3 Likes

27 Likes

Thanks for that , I think that’s the road I’m going to go

1 Like

have a look at simrak similar but modular

2 Likes

1989 TT, arm 91, Lingo 92, Cirkus 95. Mana sound frame. Then nothing, apart from Carts, until last week. Will post separately on this. Please note technically advanced method of adding mass to head shell. Cart likes it. Played most days.

26 Likes

Cymbiosis LP12: Linn walnut plinth, Cirkus bearing & TigerPaw Tranquility, Keel-Aro-Kandid, Tangerine Audio Karmen top-plate, Klimax Radikal-Urika, Chord Sarum T Analogue interconnects.
All parts currently fitted new date from between 2009-2017 except the original mid-80s smoked lid & hinges.

Upcoming: Deposit on new Kandid [ with Linn offer of a free Karousel fitting ]

40 Likes

I really liked it @Numptyhead – it just seemed to bring something to the party. Not quite sure what it was, but it was. I had a no-obligation trial and very soon after putting it on the platter I decided I liked what I heard and decided to keep it. Well worth a trial on an LP12.

Woodsong wenge plinth, Tangerine Karmen top plate, Keel-A, Cirkus bearing, Klimax Radikal, Urika, Aro, Linn Krystal, Chord SSA interconnects - pictured playing Elvis’s 40 Greatest in puke pink!

The only original items are the bearing, outer platter hinges and lid (all mid-90s). The bearing’s days are numbered and the cartridge will probably go for a Kandid in the bundled deal with the Karousel.

25 Likes

I’m currently using a leather Sonic Voice mat (courtesy Ray at Grahams) - seems very good tho I’ll need time to swap back and forth between the Collaro and the SV (frankly, can’t be bothered at the moment!)

2 Likes

Yes, I’d agree with that, the Stageline is one of my least favorite Naim items. I found the Dynavector P75 Mk111 made the Stageline seem totally closed in and subdued in comparison.

2 Likes

Apart from the Valhalla serviced by Darran at Class A and a bunch of cartridges and belts, pretty much the same since the day it left factory.

33 Likes

This really is Trigger’s broom, bought new from the Sound Organisation in York in 1991. From the original LP12, just the hinge brackets, lid, mat, outer platter and feet remain. I originally bought it with an Akito and a K5 (with a Linn Intek and Black Ash Kan 2s, all for under £2k) and upgraded the cartridge to an Adikt about 10 years later. In 2011 Phil March fitted a Cirkus, new hinges, a S/H Ekos 1 and a Lingo 1. A year later I upgraded to a Lingo 2 before Phil fitted a DV XV2H and a Tiger Paw Khan. He also swapped my original afromosa plinth with a black ash, correcting a regret I’d made on plinth choice when new. A year or two later I went for a triple whammy Keel, Radikal and an Ekos SE, all ex-dem from Phonography. I toyed with the idea of an XX2 but instead went for an XV1s which was the biggest step up of the lot. Finally the Tiger Paw was replaced by a Karmen. 5 years later I’m on my 2nd XV1s. Apart from the cartridges, the only LP12 upgrade I’ve shunned is the Urika phono stage/ Trampoline - I have no bottom board fitted and run a Whest ps.30 rdt se. I will certainly have the new Karousel bearing next (ordered before the lockdown) and might go for an XV1t when this stylus wears out. There’s also the option of a 2nd LP12 with an Aro to consider.

20 Likes

Some very nice decks here as expected. My first LP12 was a smooth black plinth, which I think cost about £30 more than fluted in 1990. Unfortunately I dropped a record one evening and it took the front edge of lacquer/wood away. Still meant I could get a maple plinth, which I had always wanted since seeing it at a hi Fi show in Southport Here it is, Radikal SE Ulrika Kandid Keel.

Also, my second deck, which is Oak, Kore, Lingo3, jelco 750, with here AT 100e cartridge, but I have about 6 or so carts to ‘roll’ hence the Jelco. I’m very happy with this second deck and think this level of LP12 is probably good value/performance.

14 Likes

I didn’t realise Derek had gone. He fitted the Karmen I bought from Mark to my LP12. One of the best LP12 fettlers.