Show us your Sondek

Great combination with the Linn-yfied Jelco SA-250ST tonearm, enjoy!

1 Like

Classic beauty

1 Like

Another classic beauty! How’s the Dynavctor 10X4 holding up in the Ittok, will you go 10x5 at some point?

1 Like

That’s a nice sweet spot of specs, sort of upgraded slightly on the IanRobertM specs

Thanks! I have loads of fun enjoying it :+1:

I love the tonearm and all the music that comes out of the LP12, never enjoyed it that much

Yes, a DV10X5 is on the list… :slightly_smiling_face:

While the flat plinth LP 12 can look really, really good. Some of us I am sure prefer flutes!
KR,
Peter

20 Likes

Ooh, I rather like my plain black plinth. :grinning:

20 Likes

Likewise! My first LP12 was just like yours in black, my second was a fluted afromosia - loved the look of both :sunglasses:

4 Likes

New Simon Price Plinth, Karmen, Keel and Klimax Radikal

28 Likes

A thing of joy (sorry for earlier spilling mistake)

Lovely! Interesting choice of arm too, as we don’t see many Audio Origami PU7s on the forum. I do like the all black Karmen and arm board against the rich dark hardwood, always a lovely colour combination that works beautifully.

Not familiar with Audio Origami… Looks quite like a Syrinx…???

Thanks. The PU7 is a great arm. I find it as a mix between an Aro and EkosSE/1. More affordable as well and fits the Keel.

1 Like

@IanRobertM I think (may well be wrong) that Johnnie Nilsen at AO used to work at / with Syrinx, hence the similarity.

@nicnaim Ah that’s an interesting mix of qualities for sure - the PU7 seems to garner universal praise from the reviews online. Also, there’s quite an interesting thread on Pinkfish about the development of a new arm called the Supertrak, specifically designed for the Linn LP12 (initially) with a rather innovative approach to the uni pivot design. Well worth a read.

1 Like

An LP12 is really part of the rite of passage for a Naim owner and I have been missing one for a while. During a vinyl hiatus a few years ago, my brother asked if he could borrow my old LP12 as he wanted to rediscover his old record collection and show his kids what he used to listen to. At the time, I was happy to help. His interest eventually waned, but two of my nieces still enjoy listening to vinyl as an alternative to their iPhones and Spotify. Since they really do use it from time to time, I am happy to leave it with them (in the UK).

One of the side effects of this forum is the (re-)discovery of some aspects of music replay that can turn into an itch (e.g. an unjustified desire to have an LP12 again). For some time, I have been happy with an RP6 and an old Dual on two systems to enjoy my modest collection of vinyl. However, that itch had to be scratched and I have finally found a pre-loved fruit box offered by a local music lover. He decided to sell it because he already had six classic turntables and is running out of space.

I picked it up last week and found the time to install a spare cart and run it today. Here it is as acquired:

According to its serial number, it dates from 1979 and has since been fitted with a Nirvana/Valhalla upgrade. The Ittok LV II seems to have good bearings and the subchassis has the sort of bounce that I expected to see. I installed a spare Rega Exact cartridge to test it and quickly discovered that the cart is too low to put the stylus on a record with the standard mat. As a workaround, I put two extra mats on it to see if actually works. At the moment, it runs into a StageLine N connected to Aux2 of my 252.

Grace Jones, Miles Davis, Marianne Faithful, Kenny Burrel, Grieg and Holly Golightly all sound fine and I am pleased that everything works as expected so far. My wife wonders why I cannot wipe the grin off my face. The sound is meaty and lush and I adore the classic fluted design.

I’ll soon have it checked, serviced and a spacer or another cartridge fitted and then just use it as it is.

In the long term, I’ll keep my eyes open for a used Prefix and Lingo, preferably a Lingo 4. I might also splash out for a modern transparent cover and Kore/Karousel upgrade.

Any thoughts?

17 Likes

The Linn Ittok is adjustable, for height… :wink:

(there is a big Allen screw on the right of the mounting collar - visible in your 2nd picture)

PS. Any removal or fitting of carts should be done with the arm removed from the turntable - or bearing damage may occur.

2 Likes

Thanks for that useful information. In the past, I left everything to the dealer to sort out. I’ll see if I can adjust that myself.

I installed the cart with the arm fitted, but with utmost care and trepidation. I’ll bear that in mind next time.

i feel very lucky to have this, been with me since 87

4 Likes

Interesting inner platter. Vinyl wrap? :wink: