Show us your Sondek

Going back to “Show us your Sondek”. Here’s mine…

22 Likes

Back on topic, bringing pleasant calm to this thread, here is another nice picture of my LP12.

Linn LP12, with Ittok LVII and Troika

17 Likes

Dear @Richard.Dane
Please can I ask a small favour?
Can you rotate the above image a quarter turn clock wise. It should be portrait shape.
(For some reason it loaded incorrectly and I can’t figure out how to correct this)

Thank you very much.

1 Like

Done for you - saves @Richard.Dane a job (I’m sure he’s got better things to do!)

5 Likes

It’s due to a glitch in the software. Just do a simple edit to the pic before you upload it, then it will be ok

6 Likes

@HappyListener
@Mr.Tibbs
Thank you both :+1:

Well, it occurs quite commonly. I find pictures taken on my iPhone can rotate themselves when loaded on to my PC. But as @Mr.Tibbs has said - just edit the picture first, if in doubt.

2 Likes

Troika, Ittok AND flutes – klassic @ratrat!

5 Likes

When I decided to have my old fruit box updated and restored, it was really important to me to keep it - as much as possible - original to period.

2 Likes

Friday night
Single Malt in hand
Slowhand on the ‘dek

15 Likes

I absolutely love my 1980’s fluted LP12. Pure timeless class. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder- but I would chose this any day on looks over the Solstice.
Tin hat donned…

11 Likes

And here’s another…

4 Likes

The Linn LP12 is a lovely design. If a child could draw an ideal record player, it would look much like the LP12. Or an architect, charged with designing a bridge would come up with something like the elegant design of the Forth Road Bridge.

The Solstice is an advanced piece of audio design, the kind of thing that the architect of the Forth (Rail) Bridge might have come up with 100 years after designing the Bridge.

Each of these designs is pure in its own terms.

But to my way of looking, one of each of the turntables and bridges is beautiful to look at , while one each of the turntables and bridges is ugly.

(Probably not very well described, but I can’t put my thoughts any more clearly,)

Graham

1 Like

I’m not sure the Forth road bridge is the best comparison to use here. It has been beset with problems caused in part by poor construction, especially of the main cable and hangers, and hasn’t stood the test of time in the way that many older bridges have. I guess it does look like the sort of suspension bridge a kid would draw though.

Alignments in progress

3 Likes

@Charlie do you use an ND555 also? I used a CD555 which was serviced and new mech installed so technically as good as new but the ND555 I now have offers a musical experience I did not know possible. I have optimised heavily the digital side but I never listen to a CD now and feel it sounds sub standard. Everything sparkles and is crystal clear. The range is far greater than the CD555 could achieve also. I never expected such a gap (to my ears anyway) If you use an ND I would be interested in your thoughts.

Hi Steve,
I don’t have a streamer…:roll_eyes:

1 Like

@Charlie fair enough. It took me a while to decide to make the jump tbh. I love the tactile nature of physical media still so am still buying CDs more than downloads. A top flight LP12 vs a well set up streaming solution was where my interest was in asking. Your LP12 clearly betters your CD555 which my ND did over my CD. I just wondered how close a current ND would be to top flight vinyl in a ‘maxed out’ Naim system. Most users who regularly post and max ND’s and have comparative amplification seem to be single source only.

Hi Steve
I am aware what direction you’re asking. There is -now more than ever- no real contest between my deck and the cd555. The tt is quite in a different league. But mind you even a maxed “franknfurter” lp12 with my specs probably is far from what should be possible with vinyl replay … there are far better arms better phono preamps better spinners and better carts out there. But there also needs to be a delicate synergy in all these components as well, so it’s not that easy. I have always been struggling with some imperfections of the deck too and may just have come close to what it should actually deliver. A direct comparison with an nd555 here sure would be interesting, I would be surprised though if it contested vinyl … but I may be heavily biased.

2 Likes

@Charlie I guess thats the trick, if you have a top flight TT and a large vinyl collection you will probably stay put as the difference to streaming will probably be small (one way or the other) and if you stream or have come from a CD background getting into vinyl could be obscenely expensive now due to the media costs!

Thanks for taking the time to reply to this slightly off topic question!

2 Likes