Show us your Sondek

Yes, so is mine, but Douglas seemed to imply that he had a Urika mounted in a separate black box, which I assume is actually an Akurate Radikal.

Antz answered my concern about the higher mass of the Stiletto with the Urika baseboard. I assume if one were to go for the TA baseboard it wouldn’t be possible to use the Urika phono amplifier - unless it can be removed from the base. Still, it’s not really a concern for me with my plinth and top plate combination. Well, not yet anyway :joy:

Here’s my much loved LP12. I bought on eBay several years ago with valhalla power supply and the bearings on the Akito were shot. I got it serviced and changed the power supply to a Lingo 1 which Darran at Class A has since serviced. The Akito tonearm was sent off to Audio Origami who repaired both sets of bearings, fitted a metal plate to stiffen the arm (pictured) and rewired it. Since then changed to Cirkus and Kore and upgraded cartridge to Dynavector 10X5. Graham Slee Reflex M phono stage. Am very happy with it. Looking at Karousel and Radikal at some point and maybe Ekos later down the line. Want to get value from the tonearm repairs before going on to an Ekos!

14 Likes

Did you get the chance to compare the amp to the NAD 4040?

OK, I think it’s time to get my coat again :sweat_smile:

Bought the LP 12 in january this year. It is a Majik upgraded with Lingo 4 and trampolin base board.

18 Likes

So… thats the Linn Krane, then… :thinking:

It is the Krane yes.

9 Likes

It’s not a looker is it? :thinking:

2 Likes

Eye of the beholder??

2 Likes

A little rude?
Looks purposeful to me.

2 Likes

I think it looks rather good, and nicer than the old Pro-ject or Jelco offering. In it’s styling there are some echoes of a past tonearm that was a wonderful Sondek partner - the Syrinx PU2.

5 Likes

Is the sticky uppy bit the bias? I wonder how it works. The arm itself does look like the Syrinx, which I once had, but without the funny extra bit.

Yes, see the similarity…
Loved those Syrinx tonearms.
Had a PU3 (on a Pink Triangle), which was amazing.

1 Like

“Is the sticky uppy bit the bias? I wonder how it works.”

Majik?

Seriously, Linn don’t give anything away, they don’t seem to mention it in their data sheets, but as the Krane is from Clearaudio, I think it is magnets.

Similar to Rega, but styling is different?

Rega arms are dynamically balanced, using a spring, whereas the Krane is statically balanced. I just wonder that the bit on the right does, and how it does it.

Well, what did it replace &, if this is your first LP12, how are you finding it?

Found a bit more

Many thanks, so it’s a magnetic anti skate. A neat idea for sure.

Quite similar in its ‘look’, to the Syrinx PU2 of many years back - and the Audio Origami PU7 of today…

I used an old Technics SL 2000 that my parents bought in 1977.

I am really happy with the LP12. The anti skating is indeed magnetic.

5 Likes

Is that an old EPC270C cartridge.
That’s going back a bit. :+1:t2: