Show us your Sondek

Likewise JXZ311, love mine also

Something about it with LP12 ARO

2 Likes

I auditioned Lingo1 vs Valhalla when Lingo was released. I think it’s the only time I’ve auditioned an LP12 upgrade and not ‘got it’. I stuck with Valhalla which had less detail, but just sounded more fun and more Sondeky to me.

4 Likes

I know what you mean. Valhalla boogies more to my ears cos it makes more sense of the music as a whole. Lingo does other things much better though so it’s no surprise most folks prefer / preferred that.

3 Likes

Wow that is nice, did Harry build that?

2 Sondeks in one pic!

15 Likes

Hi Mario

Yes - it originally was a Linn Majik which I purchased from Harry a number of years ago

Gradually built it up to current specs as Harry sourced the ARO arm (so rare here in Australia) with ARO base plate he had etc etc

Plinth is a Simon Price birds eye maple bus Peter Swain at Cymbosios UK

I’ll never part with it

3 Likes

My current LP12’s. All with beautiful Chris Harban - Woodsong plinths

Wenge

Movingui

Indian Rosewood

19 Likes

Crikey! What’s the 4th TT lurking in the last photo!?

Lovely photos, but one question.

A number of the LP12s photographed here have two lights embedded in the on/off switch, which I had never consciously noticed before. What are the two lights for?

Surely nothing as radical as 33RPM and 45RPM speeds?

Last I knew, the user had to b*gger around with an aluminium sleeve on the rotor. My LP12 has the rectangular plastic plug with the Naim logo in that position, as my deck is powered by an Armageddon.

You got it - red=33, green=45

2 Likes

And it’s been that way since about 1990 when the Lingo replaced the Valhalla supply.

2 Likes

Okay, James, no need to rub it in that I’m quite so far behind the times!!

Ah well, I shall go to bed tonight none the wiser but at least better informed.

1 Like

Sorry Graham. My LP12 journey stopped at the Valhalla stage so I had the single LED switch and that bloody sleeve for 45 RPM.

Goodness, Chris, you appear to have at least four decks.

I have changed the plinth on my LP12 very recently from the original Linn corner braced black one which I’ve had for over 40 years to a lovely Wenge wood from Solid Sounds in Yorkshire. The new plinth is not just a ‘fruit box’, but has subtle geometric shapes cut into the wood. I greatly enjoyed feeding the new plinth with lemon oil before it was expertly fitted by Audio T.

I’m away from home at the moment. but will try to post photos at some point in the future.

I look forward to seeing these ‘geometric shapes cut in’.

I changed my old original afro fluted for a modern flat- sided Linn plinth. Never loved it. So very happy to go back to flutes when Linn reintroduced them.

But…eager to see these shapes!

I may not have expressed myself well there. They are just subtle planes carved into the wood. Have a look at their website.

Even so…planes…interesting!

@graham55 may be referring to the Prism Plinth

4 Likes

Thanks. Never seen that before…I prefer flutes…but each to their own.

1 Like

Simon Price fluted Paduak

14 Likes