Show us your Streaming Network Set-up

Hi @DiggyGun . The Silent Angel Forrester F1 is optimised for the Bonn N8 (essentially an EE8). I’d tried the iFi for a few weeks first but found it introduced a slight ‘edge’ to replay which irritated.

G

2 Likes

From which to relax and admire my spaghetti…

G

2 Likes

And an Eames?

I submit my spaghetti junction. No apologies for the dust.

Gigaclear router, Cisco data switch / router, linksys WiFi hub with Audiostore server above and Unitiqutes below. This is hidden under the stairs with main system in the stair lobby.

o

5 Likes

Blimey!

G

1 Like

The starting point around 40TB of storage holding 14,603 albums (mostly ripped from CD collection) and 1,332 ripped DVDs.

Main NAS and backups. That’s a Loakes shoebox at the end!

10 Likes

That’s a hell of a lot of CDs Andy - you must have been buying a few a week over the years. Did you have ANY social life? :joy:

Peter

1 Like

Peter, well it was a labour of love and I was lucky to travel the world on business - a priority was visiting CD stores. Lived in Dublin for a couple of years mid 2000s and visiting Tower records and the independents kept me sane.

I was so fortunate to be around in the golden days of CD shopping.

The sad thing was when I got divorced my ex-wife’s solicitor cited the collection as part of the divorce funds to be split 50/50 - I said if that is what it’s come to then take lot which at that point was around 10,000 CDs. It didn’t come to that.

My kids helped me rip the collection.

6 Likes

Glad to see that all parties saw some sense in the end.

I remember Dublin before we had the majors like Tower and HMV - so our record stores were small by comparison and limited in stock. It was only while visiting London that I saw HMV and I was like a kid in a candy shop. These days, cities all have similar shopping outlets so the experience is not quite as thrilling as it used to be, for me at least.

I must be getting old!

Peter

2 Likes

2 Likes

@GraemeH
I currently have an EE8 switch in my music room, which is fed from a network switch in another room. Everything else (router, NS01, WD backup) is connected to the network switch. But I was thinking that I could use the EE8 in the other room and do away with the main switch. So, in your case, is the the IN socket on the EE8 connected to the router or the NAS?

1 Like

The Router Clive.

G

Thank you. That’ll help me when I switch mine back on - there are thunderstorm warnings currently. I am going to see if the EE8 works better in isolation.

Loake…quality.
Miss wearing my Loake brogues now Im retired.
Trainers and sliders now.
Probably funerals will be their next airing.

2 Likes

@Clive

I have read somewhere, (need to find it), that have the EE8 just for audio fed from the other switch and to keep your PC and other stuff on the other switch.

For example, mine goes;
Gigaclear router via Chord C Network Cable (0.75m) → Netgear switch via Chord Clearway Network Cable (15m) → EE8 Switch via Chord Clearway Network Cable (0.75m) → Linn Klimax DS3/Katalyst and TV.

Also on the first Netgear Switch I have Ethernet cables going to my office and workshop, that way I try and keep separate the audio kit from other kit.

1 Like

…and a Mies footstool!

G

1 Like

That sounds very similar to what I have currently, although I only have standard Cat5 cables. The Netgear switch was set up by the Naim dealer. When he later sold me the EE8, he drew a diagram showing me how to set it up. I took the cable out of the ND555 and passed it through the EE8 before going into the ND555.

Based on your advice, which matches that of the dealer, I don’t think I’ll bother changing.

2 Likes

So much spaghetti, as a compromise I’ll stick with the Mu So, so pretty and sound wise lovely.

It’s the only HiFi my wife has ever approved of :grinning:

3 Likes

It does surprise me a little that The Chord Company haven’t brought out their own version … :thinking:

The hub 3 from Virgin was my mistake, wish we had kept the hub 2 it but was promised a hub4……with no network in our area, mislead. Now wading thru BT problems on the TV side……easily sorted, they can uninstall if the next box does not work.

1 Like

I’m not sure what Chord would add here. The EE16 switch (effectively two EE8 switches in one enclosure) has the Forester supply built in.

2 Likes