Show us your Streaming Network Set-up

My comms closet/spare bedroom wardrobe. Ubiquiti networking (unifi security gateway, controller and switch (which then feeds PoE to the switch next to my NDX2 and the switch in the study), and Unifi access point (1 of 3). Synology 718+ NAS with two 10TB drives, which feeds my Core. Out of shot is the optical network transport (fibre modem from my ISP) and UPS.

Probably overkill for a home setup, but it does mean that we don’t have any problems with networking, and I’ve got good wifi coverage all over the house.

2 Likes

There’s a current thread on this subject

Road Records as well?

At this stage you are probably consuming as much power as a semi decent server had you considered one? Stick Unraid on it?

Also backups in the same place as the original is not a good idea.

1 Like

Like me full unifi set up, main us16 switch is fed from the USH router which is fed from Virgin superhub in modem mode. The main switch feeds all areas of the house via PoE so also powers all switches and aps elsewhere. All the main gear is hidden away far from the hifi. PoE keeps the mess less and no need for extra psus. 4 aps cover the main house and my office at bottom of garden.

Roon Rock runs on a silent pc in the dining room and feeds the rest of the house with audio over the network. It also has my RME attached to it for headphone listening and my QAcoustic BT3 speakers. Atom in front room. Other devices and dacs in bedrooms, kitchen, office all fed via the Roon Rock.

1 Like

TBH I’ve been impressed with the Unfi gear. Previously I had Aruba access points that I had included in the architecture for the Cricket World Cup, but Unifi has been both much easier to configure, and also better supported.

And the switches have been really good - I’ve demo’d a EE8, but couldn’t hear any difference. I hope to be trying a Melco soon, but again I’m not sure that there’s much wrong with the network for audio purposes.

1 Like

Had mine for a few years now and can’t fault it. Added the 16port switch and cloud key 2 when I got the office converted last year plus a couple of their cameras. Happy camper. I also run 4 VLANs one for Roon, 1 for video , 1 for IoT and one for general use.

When I worked at BT, the goal was to replace spaghetti with lasagne.

3 Likes

That’s the basement of the Hampstead Telephone Exchange!

1 Like

Interesting podcast thanks for posting.

It is interesting…the ‘bits’ I could understand. High quality smps’s that marry both timbral accuracy with ‘drive’ seems to be his holy grail.

G

Nice and simple.

Router and switch (probably not necessary) in the study.

Server and hi-fi in the listening room.

Got fed up waiting for the 272 replacement and found that a Topping DAC and preamp comprehensively outperformed the old 272 (even with 555PS) so bought them with accompanying amp.

7 Likes

Ansuz switch, apple ruther, supra cat6

2 Likes

Not surprised by your findings with the Topping. I have a horrible feeling that a decent Topping DAC and preamp would perform very well against most other much more expensive combinations. At some point I’m going to have to buy one to find out…

I would be interested in your experience with the Ansuz switch. Which model is it?

X-tc, fabulous sound

1 Like

Any fancy cables like power or ethernet on this device? I may consider an A2 in the future…

I’m using an Ansuz X power cable. It is interesting that thanks to the distributor I tested it at home for 7 days and with the Isotek sequel cable it sounded just like a better switch. It only played with Ansuz cables. I have no experience with Ansuz lan cables.

1 Like

Ah Pete, this photo popped up on another forum I frequent. Could this be you by chance?:grin:

4 Likes

Similar only my legs are shorter. :grin:

1 Like