Show us your turntable

You have an invisible turntable? I bet that’s tricky to cue up. :0)

Yes Roog, it’s a new on-cost upgrade over the standard one! :grin:

I’ll probably downgrade it in a couple of weeks’ time to slightly enhanced visible spec.
In the meantime, I can barely detect when the lps locate on the centre spindle.

Best regards, BF

2 Likes

The turntable got an inertia platter as a start of the new year. Looks and sounds good! The whole set up now has more of an modern art deco style to it with black and brass, and with the lady in the background. Also the industrial look of the tone arm goes well with this theme, in my view.

22 Likes

Very nice - would love to hear a Dr. Feickert turntable at some point.

2 Likes

I find it very nice when comes to construction, sound performance and looks. My experience with listening to different turntables is limited though. But it sure was a great upgrade from my Thorens TD 166 Mk V which had served me well since bought in the late 1980s!:blush:

1 Like

Here’s my modified Technics, with a few extra shots to show some of the smaller details

20 Likes

Few of the arm pod too

13 Likes

Started reading a bit about separate arm pods, can I ask what made you choose to do it? Looks like great work, did you do the surgery yourself?

I did all the woodwork from scratch…not sure what you mean by surgery?

At the time I wanted the flexibility of being able to have multiple tonearms and have the option to have them 9" and/or 12" in length. In hindsight it’s a little bit of a faff having a separate pod for the arm as it has the potential to be moved by accident (despite its weight) and hence require re-aligning. I’m currently toying with the idea of changing the plinth so it incorporates the tonearm too, but haven’t committed to it yet :grinning:

1 Like

Thanks for that! And sorry, “surgery” was just a turn of phrase for the amount of work it looks :slight_smile:

How does it sound compared to the Gyrodek?

1 Like

It’s an interesting point, as they sound quite different to one another. I’ve tried them both with the Tecnoarm2 (as I can’t put the Jelco on the Gyro), same cartridge (Ortofon Quintet Blue) and phonostage, and I think the best way I can describe it is that the Technics has loads of drive and slam, whilst the Gyro was more refined.

I’ve sort of found I prefer to listen to electronic, rock and hip-hop type stuff on the Technics, and vocal, jazz and classical on the Gyro. I wanted to try to tweak them towards those uses a bit more, but the arms are the other way round (Tecnoarm has slam and Jelco has refinement) so the gap is closed a little…kind of annoying tbh. However, I’m always tweaking around and messing with them both (and cartridges) so they’re both evolving all the time.

In overall terms it’s difficult to say which is best, they both have strengths and weaknesses and it’s just a question as to which you prefer.

4 Likes

When it comes to turntables (& amps come to that), I am firmly in the ‘leave it to the experts camp’. Hence why I have been a happy Linn user for the past 41 years & would never entertain trying to ‘do it myself’.

However, a very small part of me admires those, such as yourself, who presumably don’t like what they hear from Linn, Rega etc. & set about doing it better themselves. Shades of Mr. Vereker I suppose.

Not particularly wishing I had the desire, or knowledge & ability, to modify any of my equipment, but, I nevertheless applaud you in your endeavours.

2 Likes

Thanks Canaryfan. I’m just inquisitive I think. I like taking things apart and seeing how they work. Most of the time I just put them back together and think no more of it, but the Technics is one of those things where I loved the DD system, but hated pretty much everything else about the deck (especially the looks) so thought I’d give it my own take. I do have a soft spot for the LP12 and would like to dip my toe one day. The problem with that is I’m serial upgrader and it’d get expensive real quick…bit like Naim :wink:

3 Likes

Well, I’ll look forward to seeing your mods on an LP12!

Worry not Lindsay, other than for the integrity of the bank balance.

I popped over to Touraj at Vertere again this morning…

and up close …

The MG-1 now runs with the new Tempo motor drive. It’s very clever but to be honest I don’t care too much about how it works. What matters is the result and wow, what a result! The MG-1 is now a turntable with the rock solid pitch stability of a top flight cd player or streamer. Then add a masterful level of effortless, natural resolution, timing and emotional engagement.

The new composite Technomat helps as does Touraj’s frankly amazing ability to fine tune set-up to bring the very best out of the turntable/arm/cartridge combination.

Gosh this is good. Time for a bit more Ronnie Wood and Imelda May in concert…

24 Likes

Ian brilliant. Unfortunately for me the Tempo can’t be adapted for the Xerxes. What cartridge have you got now?

It’s a Hana Umami Red and it is very RED.

Even Touraj seems to quite like what it does, which is praise indeed, as you know!

Now enjoying Susanne Sundfor’s Music For People in Trouble after a large dose of blues. Her song Reincarnation is really quite special.

Best, BF

1 Like

I gotta say, that TT looks great.

Had a bit of a soft spot for Roksan since auditioning an original Radius alongside the Systemdek I eventually bought back in 1990 ish. I did go for a Tabriz arm and Chorus cartridge, even though I didn’t go for the Radius.

If I ever replace my beloved Systemdek, I’m definitely going to be listening to the Vertere decks! Well, I use the plural, even if the DG-1 is the only one likely in budget X)

Hope you enjoy the deck for years to come!

1 Like

Very kind gthack, thank you. Funnily enough, there was a DG-1 playing as well this morning and it sounded mighty fine. It’s a very, very good turntable for anyone who is vaguely sane/normal. I don’t count myself in that category anymore, hence the LP12s then the Xerxes and now the MG-1.

Enjoy your Systemdek. Derek & Ramsay Dunlop up in Troon are super. Their sister company, ART, made our speakers and they are keepers too!

Best regards, BF

3 Likes

That MG1 looks lovely. If I were getting an MG1 I’d probably get the champagne finish, which to me looks particularly good.

1 Like