Show us your turntable

My sister has recently dug out her late husband’s old Accoustic Research XB1 from her garage. Subsequent to my picture she has cleaned it up and tested it on a friend’s system and advised that it is still working.

Does anybody have any knowledge or views on this turntable? I would be particularly interested in any thoughts on how it might compare to my later model AR EB101. It is not readily easy to try it as she lives sone way away.

8 Likes

AR XB1

Sometimes quoted as the inspiration for the Linn LP12… :thinking:

1 Like

I had a Project X Pack for 13 trouble free years.
A great turntable :grin:

1 Like

Hi, yes I’m really impressed with it. After over a dozen albums it’s far better than I imagined it would be. To be fair, it’s not cheap even used and it’s not an LP12 but when I walk into the room when it’s playing it grabs my attention and makes me want to sit an listen. It probably deserves a better cartridge than the 2m red (it would have originally come with an MC Rondo) but I feel no inclination to upgrade it.

Audio T in
Brighton are A1 it’s been a while since I’ve used them but they where always very accommodating sold me my first Naim a 32.5/90.

EMT makes its come back. They were making the finest turntables in their time.
Here the new 928. Not bad.

8 Likes

I don’t like the look of that thing at all.

It looks (to my eyes, at least) rather toy-like. What about the cartridge, is it made by EMT or by a well-known cartridge maker? It doesn’t look as f it could have a sprung sub-chassis, so it can’t be very shock resistant.

Thank you, but I’ll keep my LP12/ARO/Dynavector.

Battery powered!?!

That’s a bit sarcastic. How an old fruit box has lingered on all these years is a mystery :wink:

3 Likes

I’ve just surprised myself here. I actually really like the look of that. Maybe put an Ittok on it (I hate bent arms) but I could live with that.

1 Like

Isn’t calling someone a fruit box a bit rude? :joy:

1 Like

I see it’s got 78rpm.

Great excuse for the record companies to produce yet more 30, 40 & 50 year anniversary ‘Audiophile’ quality reissues in 78rpm pressings.

A single 12 inch disc per track, only £20 per disc. Form an orderly queue please…

1 Like

That would be the same EMT that makes the Ekstatik and Kendo for Linn then.

2 Likes

:grinning:

Lovely 60s throwback design.

1 Like

40 hours apparently. https://www.emt-tontechnik.ch/files/productfile/EMT-928.pdf

Does look quite cool

1 Like

It is constructed by the guy who builds the Thales TT which @Dunc owns.

Fits their own RIAA quite well in design.

Costs around 10k Euro.

1 Like

Ah well. A bit out of my price range :rofl::rofl:

Those Thales TTs look good too

The silver EMT looks like a 200 euro TT😟

Here’s the earlier 928, they plainly worked on the looks for the 928ii.

6 Likes