Show us your turntable

Lovely cartridge.
For certain records the Rega Exact MM did things I still miss with my current MC cartridges.

2 Likes

Interesting. What sort of things??. I have a Goldring e3, not as good as my Hana SL, but it does some things better imho. Thinking of trying the e4 stylus upgrade.

This is really good. Curious how you made the second arm pos as I’m investigating something similar for my setup.

The voice of Nina Simone sounded amazing with RegaP9 and Exact Cartridge into Stageline+HiCap. Gave me goosebumps every time.

2 Likes

@Dunc Interesting set up with the second arm pod - just curious… I take it that the Rega arm pod sits independently from the main turntable structure, so what happens if either the arm pod or the turntable are accidentally nudged or moved, do you have to set up the cartridge alignment from scratch?

Here’s a thread all about it. I remember being interested at the time so knew there was a thread, I don’t want to answer for Dunc though :slight_smile: cc @akohli too

A few TT setups use a similar approach IIRC. In fact I’m pretty sure there’s someone on here with a similar concept applied to some Technics hardware

Got it! Show us your turntable - #2413 by BBWan

1 Like

See above at the link to my post about it

1 Like

The pod is rather heavy as i filled the 63mm copper pipe with Moulton lead, plus being on 3 spikes helps it to stay put.
The turntable is 25kg plus, so that’s not moving anywhere, but both are very stable.
You can buy standalone tonearm pods that are basically like what i have made, but they tend to cost about £500. I didn’t fancy that as i had a £1000 limit for the tonearm, cartridge, and pod.

Luckily i am quite handy and made this up one afternoon, downloaded the tonearm template for free, and just set it up.
It seems to work fine as it sounds good.

1 Like

Ah, I see, so it is wholly separate from the turntable. Interesting, and not surprising you made your own given the price of the stand alone pods.

There are quite a few decks with the facility for separate arm boards which give a little more flexibility for experimenting with alternative arms and carts and I do find that interesting. The Kuzma range look fascinating from this perspective, especially with their own range of arms. A loaded Kuzma Stabi R at Definitive Audio here for instance - other colours available, although I quite like the burnt orange…

10 Likes

Obviously a turntable with an extra arm mount makes things rather easier.
Unfortunately i haven’t got option so had to get my tools out.

1 Like

17 Likes

One of the reasons I chose the Kuzma Stabi R, might add a second arm in the future.

The picture shows a „wing“ on the left side, smaller arm holders would be available.
The Stabi R can hold up to four tonearms, though this might look a bit cluttered.

3 Likes

Thought I’d updated with the new version of the armpod which is much much heavier, but can’t see it so here’s the mk2 version. Its made from a solid block of mild steel 100mm diameter, with a top-plate made of 2 and 6mm mild steel pieces sandwiching a 1mm piece of rubber, all set on 18mm birch ply and then feet to match the turntable. Neither piece is going anywhere, but it is true that if either does get moved then you have to set it up from scratch.

16 Likes

Khan84, before going for the Verter MG1, what did you audition? How does it compare to a well spec well set-up LP12?

2 Likes

Buttons now also neatly recessed into the back of the turntable unit too…

And one of the PSU too…

9 Likes

Very nice! It’s a Technics, but not like you’ve seen before 8)

*birch

Deleted, please remove.

20 Likes

Amended ta.

Yes it is ‘essence of Technics’, only bits left are the PCB, on/off & speed buttons and the centre of the platter. Everything else is changed. You can see who made the PSU, but other highlights are the Mike New bearing and the platter, which was custom made by Tizo Acryl in Germany (brilliant company!)

1 Like

See mine above for an opinion on that. A quick search on Vertere will give more opinions and the ‘Solstice or MG-1’ thread may also help.

3 Likes

Hi Anders, I didn’t audition any record player before I bought the Vertere MG1. I had read and heard so many good things about the MG1 that when one came up for sale I bought it blind. I’ve owned the Rega RP10 and Linn LP12 majik in the past. The Vertere is a marked improvement on those turntables.

I think Nick’s post above should offer you some insight.

3 Likes