Show us your turntable

I landed across this by chance, now I’m not sure what to do with it.

15 Likes

Play some records perhaps? :innocent:

9 Likes

Indeed.

Hmmmm :thinking:
Wish for any suggestions?
Maybe apart from play a lot of records :joy:

Mike, it’s a beauty … :wink:
(Keep posting the pictures, they are all a delight)

KR
R

1 Like

It was a real value buy. The consensus seems to be to add a Lingo 4 and Karousel bearing, which will be an excellent LP12 for a modest cost.

3 Likes

Sure. Agreed.
That would be a sure and solid way forward.

First, IMHO, you’re doing exactly the right thing in this situation. That is, to play a lot of records, get to know how it works. Just enjoy it.

By itself, that LP12 is such a lovely thing to look at. Also, a marvellous music making machine.

Maybe think about what next, over time. Ask lots of people (with experience) for advice…

With a 552 + 300, there’s no limit to where you might go with your LP12. It can be a rewarding journey to discover what Vinyl can offer.

Maybe the first philosophical question might be to consider your aims. Do you wish to achieve a modest level, simply to discover and enjoy more from Vinyl. Or maybe aim to be at parity, same or similar level, with your other source? That might guide what happens.

Lots might say, just get it serviced properly and enjoy it. From following your comments last few days, it’s already a step up from the basic Rega you enjoyed before. That would be fine too.

Tell you what…
If you wish to go over to “Show us your Sondek”, or maybe start a new thread, I’ll share a few things that might be of interest.

Very best wishes.
R

4 Likes

If you find you enjoy playing vinyl records and all that it involves, you might consider getting a record cleaning machine.

2 Likes

I would, but @Bevo warned me not too :smile::smile:

1 Like

LOL :joy:
Yep, completely get that.
Might be best to steer clear…

1 Like

An Ortofon 2M Blue will be a quite nice update.
My X2 was fitted with a 2M Silver, but clearly outperformed by the Blue…

Have you bought it already? What cartridge will you put?
Go for it, but be assured that your dealer knows how to set it up. It needs maybe some tuning.
Looks nice !

1 Like

Keep it as it is for now* and just play some records and enjoy. What you have there is a classic combination of, (I assume) a Valhalla spec deck, with Ittok and OC9, all very much working in a manner complementary to each other.

*Oddly enough, the LP12 of this vintage was a lovely sounding thing even without all the latest upgrades.

11 Likes

21 Likes

Other than making sure the stylus is still usable I would just play records and get used to the sound it makes. That might help drive better decisions about upgrade priorities.

4 Likes

Okay many thanks for the feedback. I am not sure if I expected that blue would be better than the silver.

If the deck is not in good condition, the Vahalia is old now, the stylus may be not in good condition too, you have an Rega Rp10 with Apheta 2 for 7k AUS dollars in Sydney hifi.
But maybe all is good, I hope for you.

1 Like

I did buy it Sweetie, it was such a bargain at £650, and it’s in mint condition. I just don’t know how worn the OC9 cart is. It’s all original except it has the Circus bearing upgrade.

It was an unexpected buy, it was sitting in our local electronics store when I went in too ask about having my Star checked out. But I do prefer the fruit box style over the top end Rega.

4 Likes

Well, I am now very curious on your impressions. What is the original price of an OC9? Is it an MC or MM? Better than Rega Exact?

About 400 pounds I think, it’s MC. I’ve only compared the Exact on the RP3 versus the OC9 on the LP12, so probably not a fair comparison. The LP12/OC9 is a lot more detailed and textured, clear and open, bass is tighter, though the RP3/Exact has more punch - if that makes sense.

The LP12 probably cost less than a new MM I was thinking of getting for the RP3.

6 Likes

Some of our Luv items like amps are static and difficult enough to jump off….but the turntables go round and round😂

1 Like