Show us your turntable

Solstice
ARO 2
Dynavector XV1t
Superline/ Supercap

Bought the Solstice package minus it´s phono stage and the Equinox cartridge but rather with the superb XV1t feeding Superline/Supercap. Topped off with an Airplug 453 ohm from Cymbiosis and I have a turntable that ticks all boxes IMO.

Playing the best of vinyl it leaves my ND555 2x 555P/S (although very good) sounding two dimensional and processed.

30 Likes

Did not know you could separate the package deal?

Before buying a full top level Naim system from the dealer Gazza I stipulated it. The dealer wrote off the slight loss because of the large profit they made form the sale. I did start with the “package” then changed phono when the Supercap arrived the DV followed shortly afterwards. So I got to hear the effects of both upgrades.

5 Likes

Did you buy the dynavector new or secondhand?

1 Like

New Dunc

Just wondered as i sold my new unsed one back to a dealer

No Acoustica definitely ordered mine from John and Peter at Pear Audio as I’ve had a discussion with the latter since.

Its definitely not my one, thats for sure.
Great cartridge

1 Like

What the furthest I could go with a cartridge on the 309?

16 Likes

The dark thoughts about buying a 1200/1210 are getting increasingly persistent, that looks great!

What cartridge/phono stage are you running at the moment? AT something?

1 Like

I recognise those curtains!

Using AT OC9 XML, nice cartridge but thinking the deck/arm has more to offer.
I like the microcline stylus profile, sweet sounding on most records.

1 Like

Just the curtains not the system? :joy:

1 Like

So I don’t know to be honest! But might be worth asking a dealer who stocks and demos Technics to mount something nice up on a headshell, if they don’t have something already, and borrow it? Hana ML worth a listen? That’s another microline stylus and seems to be very well regarded.

Not familiar with Hana. Are you dead set on MC ? Your current cart and (well regarded) phono stage are MM if I’m not mistaken?

I personally use both a Nagaoka JT-1210 and an Ortofon 2M Bronze (advantage of a detachable headshell). If I were to upgrade, I would probably look at the top Nagaoka MP-500. The JT-1210 despite having an elliptical diamond vs the fineline of the 2M gives it a run for it’s money.

2 Likes

Ah sorry n-lot, I’m replying to Kompressor1 who’s running a AT OC9 XML on SME arm/SL1210GR - as they’re already running MC, and asking how far the SME/Technics can go, I thought something like a Hana might be the next step up the ladder.

My own TT/cartridge thoughts are still building up to a demo in September - 1200G vs Gyro SE vs Origin Live. Cartridge choice still TBD, but likely after sorting the deck out, and more or less decided to stay away from MC due to recurring cost/benefit issues.

Not only that but they come in 8 different colours! Olive green 1200 is very very tempting.

7 Likes

I have the Hana ML installed on my Thorens TD124 DD and I thoroughly recommend it. It sounded great from the off but now with around 70 hours on it, it’s really come on song. Definitely worth a demo

5 Likes

You’re not helping :wink:

It took a lot of will power not to throw caution to the wind and just order one last week X)

An SME 309 with a VDH Frog seems to be well thought of in some circles but I don’t know if they overlap with Naim ones. Shelter is another SME friendly cartridge by some accounts. All hear say you understand, I’ve only heard an Anna on a V fitted to a 1200 G and it didn’t grab me but then I wasn’t taken with the SME30 when it came out some decades back either.