Show us your turntable

Wow, this is amazing!

How do you decide for tonearm-cartridge-phonopre combinations and ensure you achieve the desired sound signature?

Even with just one arm and phono pre I struggle….

Which of your setups would you choose for Billy Holiday and Nina Simone vintage vinyls?
And which would you choose for modern productions?

With a current based phono stage? The 24Ω impedance would appear to be a touch high but if it works OK with the high output Shure than…

To a certain extent, you can never be sure of the outcome, but some parameters will help you decide:
the tonearm/cartridge weight compatibility is one. There’s a lot of documentation on the web about this, then you have to think about cartridge/pre-phone impedance matching and the ability of the pre-phone to select between various impedance values to match the cart (a lot of music listening will help you choose the best, which is not always the declared values suggested). Then comes the cartridge tip shape selection is also important; I tend to use shibata or microline equivalent types, being very small they dig dipper in the grove extracting more info, and I find that with old (maybe scratched) records they tend not to hit the surface scratches so much, eliminating somewhat the click and pops. Ultimately is all about setting up the cartridge in the correct way; you’ll be amazed of how much improvements you can get from your kit. For that I suggest you go to the Ortofon site and look for the cartridge set up video which is very good and applies to all carts. Hope it helps.
br
salvo

6 Likes

rpm1 carbon

10 Likes

22 Likes

The Concept is a lovely looking turntable, I like some of their wood ones.

2 Likes

It’s a bit big for my taste but I have a soft spot for copper. Everything looks better with copper accent. So that platter is eye candy to me.

This might hit the spot for you then (not mine, it’s courtesy of the internet).

12 Likes

How different of sound quality between LP12/Naim Aro and Roksan TMS3/Artimiz II /Shiraz?

I forget to ask which one is the most favourite?

Hi Kovit,

First of all I can say that they are both very good decks and that I could live happily with either one of them.

The main difference between them is that the Roksan is leaner in its presentation. This is especially noticable in the base where the leaner presentation of the TMS3 offers more resolution. The LP12 does seem to provide a sense of natural flow that I find appealing. This was especially so with the ARO, and previously with the Armagedon.

As I have upgraded the LP12 (Keel, Radikal, Karousel) its presentation has become closer to that of the Roksan, by which I mean increased resolution and clarity.

When the picture was taken I was running the LP12 with a Naim Superline/SuperCap DR phonostage and my preference was for the LP12. When I used this phono stage on the TMS3 voices and instruments gained in body; the presentation became less lean, more natural and organic and I felt it was on the same level as the LP12. This was before the Karousel upgrade to the LP12.

So to round of, both decks are great and ultimate preference will rest on taste and choice of cartridge, phono stage and tweaks. Vertere now offer power supplies and cables that may improve the TMS3 further.

Best regards

Hans

2 Likes

New LP12

17 Likes

Looks great. Who makes those wall mount speaker stands?

They are Target audio wall brackets. Unavailable now as far as I am aware. They pop up on eBay no and again around £30-40. I was lucky, this pair popped up the day I ordered the M10s. Perfect fit.

1 Like

With an Aro too. Congratulations to you.

The ARO, Koetsu, Keel and Radikal are not new, transferred from my prevoius LP12 set-up.

Hans

So most of it is not new? Lol.

Most of the turntable itself is new including the plint, bottom plate with phono stage, bearing, inner and outer platter, top plate and dust cover. This was purchased at the beginning of the year. The Radikal power supply was purchased last year, so not as new but not very old either.

Hans

1 Like

Triggers broom then?

Linn vs Roksan. This is from 2009 when I bought my TT. Through a whole series of different auditions and home demos my pecking order was:

1. Xerxes/Artemiz/Ref PSU/Dyn XX, fluent, detailed, rhythmic, engaging.
  2. Avid Volvere/SME5/Dyn XX, much like the Xerxes slightly less rhythmic but perhaps deeper in bass.
  3. Michell Orbe/SME5/Dyn XX, lovely detail but drier less engaging. Perhaps biggest soundstage.
  4. Linn LP12/Keel/Akkurate PSU (I think)/ Ekos /Dyn XX, warmest, least dynamic, sweet mids and treble.

All into my 282 and at the time Stageline.

In my personal subjective opinion the Xerxes and Volvere were well ahead of the other 2 and extremely close, but all 4 would have made great music.

1 Like