Show us your turntable

I’m sure I read somewhere that the Collaro mat doesn’t suffer from this problem and also delivers a degree of sound improvement, but at £99 for the red version and £120 for the black, it does seem rather costly. Can any users confirm the static and sound improvements?

Hi Clive

I’ve had the Collaro black for a few months now and I’ve found it quite a good improvement over the standard Linn mat

For me it cleans up the midrange quite a bit , I like it for sure

Expensive yes but I think worth it for a little tweak

Cheers

1 Like

Did you find any improvement regarding the static issue, which @anon70766008 described, above?

I’ve never had an issue with static ad such on the Linn mat

I think they are both the same with respect to sometimes sticking to the vinyl disc when removing after playing - both a bit painful as each other really

2 Likes

I have the Rega supplied felt mat on my P10 but find it maddening too. I read somewhere that Rega say it musn’t be changed.

Er…or what?

Yes, although I quite liked it on an old Thorens TD150, when I tried it on my Rega RP10 I thought it was horrible - it made the deck sound so leaden and weirdly disjointed in the bass compared to the same deck with the original mat. I have not tried it on any of my Sondeks or on my 401 so cannot say how well (or not) it works on those.

Probably this…

Pretty sure an LP, until it’s wet-cleaned, will stick to any felt mat…at least, that’s been my experience. I had straight out of the sleeve LPs stick to the mat on my LP12 and the same with my P10. Once cleaned on the RCM, the antistatic element in the cleaner does its job.

Cheers,

Ian

3 Likes

I used to have a Zerostat (I think that was the name) anti-static ‘gun’ that could be ‘fired’ at records, supposedly to kill off the static. No idea if it really worked, but it used to impress the hell out of friends in my University days!

3 Likes

Ah yes, I had one of those too. I also have no recollection of whether it worked or not (far too long ago!). My first TT was a Sony PSLX10, followed by a Dual CS505-2. I may even have pictures…

It being a Herbie or a Collaro?

It’s a Herbie’s mat.

Hmmm, I have one on the way at the moment. My platter is 7kg of alloy and the current mat is hard acrylic with a paper felt underlay so not too much like a Rega. I can also fine tune VTA.

It seems I do…

Cheers,

Ian

9 Likes

Thats Richard’s opinion. The post stated Rega says you must not change the mat. Why?

They will send the boys round if you change it.

Ha… changed mine and had no visitors…or records sticking to it!

Anyone ever told you that you’ve got lovely feminine hands.

2 Likes

My LP12 got fractionally better on voices (esp sibilance) with Collaro, no disadvantages but also no cure for occasional static sticking mat to LP.

Fortunately, Amazon provided a roll of two-sided thin Sellotape for about £1.

3 Likes