Show us your turntable

Google lens says it’s a SRM Arezzo!

Looks nice, I almost said a Michell :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks like a Rega Tone Arm, perhaps🤔

2 Likes

It hasnt replaced the LP12… (I have a few of those). However, this is surprisingly good.

1 Like

So, don’t keep us in suspense!:roll_eyes:
What is it and what’s the Arm/Cart combo?:face_with_monocle:

1 Like

SRM Arezzo. Origin Live modded RB250.
Thats a Goldring 1042gx, but ive fitted my Lyra to see how it sounds.

You must be one of those unusual people with multiple turntables.

I can only listen to one at any given time!

1 Like

Yeah. Id love to try every turntable out there (its too easy to claim that the Sondek is the best without ever trying anything else!).

3 Likes

There’s a recent thread about specifically this. Turns out quite a lot of us have more than one turntable. Though admittedly, more common in the context of multiple systems.

1 Like

Alternatively, do as I have done - max out your Sondek to your liking, then just persuade yourself that there isn’t a better TT in the world, so nothing more need be done!

1 Like

I find it strange that the Goldring-built Linn cartridges received great acclaim, but that cartridges released under their own name get far less praise.

3 Likes

I think you may have answered your own question there!
Similar to the recent decision by Linn to sell rebadged Jelco ST250 (or even Project 9cc) tonearms.
I love the Sondek but tire of constantly wondering if its wanting an upgrade or if the suspension needs tweaking.
I actually took the SRM in as a trade against one of my LP12s so will most likely sell it on soon.
Ive always fancied a Voyd and I think thats next on my list.

Different strokes for different folks. When I was young, I spent many years in retail and we always had a maxed out LP12 in the shop. So I had years if exposure to this legendary deck. But I never really clicked with it and therefore vinyl in general.

It took 25 years and a very different approach that was neither Linn nor Rega to find something that had magic for me. So I can totally understand mucking about with different decks. My two sound very different to each other but I love them both. They feel different to use and touch different emotional nerves to interact with. One of them costs literally just 2% of a maxed out LP12 but to me it’s more enjoyable, albeit much less resolving and detailed.

3 Likes

@JXZ311. Great looking turntable. Any views on the SRM isolation platform. Like you I have my turntable Rega P8 on a similar piece of vintage furniture. The clear acrylic SRM platforms are a bit more subtle than some and reasonably inexpensive.

2 Likes

Thanks Bob.
On this one the isolation platform is part of the build (as the bearing housing goes through the centre and it cant be used without).
Apparently the guy at SRM is lovely and really helpful so drop him a line if you are interested in any of his products.
I actually love the juxtaposition of the contemporary look of the turntable against the cabinet.

1 Like

Fwiw, I have an LP12 (Kore, Ekos, Krystal, Lingo 4), with a baseboard and an isolation platform from SRM.

On a ‘light and rigid’ support, I prefer its sound to a Tramp 2, and it surprised a couple of chaps from well-known shops who had not heard the SRM kit before.

I’d say that Mr. SRM knows what he is doing.

3 Likes

Many thanks @JXZ311 …we have numerous pieces of craftsman made vintage and antique furniture which are preferable to a dedicated rack, the compromise has also plenty of WAF …much better for domestic harmony.

1 Like

Agree, Stuart at SRM is a lovely person to deal with.
Apologies if it’s Stewart (I forget) but I think it’s the former.

2 Likes

Is this the lovely looking TEAC?

I must admit it is one of the nicer decks I’ve seen on these pages at a very affordable price, having said that I know you’ve tweaked it.

Best wishes

Ian

It is indeed.

1 Like

After 20 years of Stirling service, I recently sent my SME IV to the Steyning factory for a service and refurb. They fitted new bearings, new internal wiring loom, new bias, new arm lift new counter weight lock and re sprayed arm tube and various other adjustments to bring the arm up to current specification. After one week in Steyning the arm is back mounted onto the Acutus and the Dynavector Cartridge mounted in the arm. Simply stunning transformation. Power, precision and detail all dialled up a couple of notches. Well worth the £900 cost.

29 Likes