Show us your turntable

I believe it is YNWaN’s own home-build turntable design, with what looks like a Tiger Paw Javelin tonearm?

It does look good in a kind of Stripped-out Rega-esque kind of way.

1 Like

Wow! It’s all I got.

1 Like

Thanks all :). It’s as Richard says, my own design and build and, as he also correctly states, it’s fitted with a TigerPaw Javelin. The two boxes under it are actually half of my phonostage but there is a a separate power supply (not shown) that houses the on/off and speed selection.

The design of the chassis actually predates any skeletal designs by Rega - but I can see the similarity.

2 Likes

Congrats !! What is the motor ? Has it a power supply ? What is the material of the chassis ?

1 Like

It uses an AC motor and does have a separate power supply. The chassis is a CLD carbon fibre construction.

The power supply:

7 Likes

Rega RP10 with Vertere Technomat - for me an improvement over the standard white mat.

10 Likes

LP12–Ittok LVIII–Krystal–Karousel–Lingo 4–Kore–Tramp 2. And, of course, the all-important fluted afro plinth.

37 Likes

Love :two_hearts: those flutes…

3 Likes

23 Likes

As Ian Dury once said 'There ain’t ‘arf been some clever b******* lucky bleeders, lucky bleeders’.

Looks beautiful.

1 Like

Thanks - I think ;).

Here’s a pick of its replacement - well, the CAD for it anyway:

And a bit of the making:

12 Likes

A bit like the Kuzma Reference?

7 Likes

Well, very loosely. Amongst other differences mine uses a much lower mass chassis and in a quite different configuration. In fact there are more technical differences than similarities, but it does look superficially similar. It’s not an homage to any existing designs.

1 Like

Are you willing to share the design details? And perhaps a bit of background / context for this project?

Might warrant its own thread.

Is that slate?

No, I’m not actually very keen on slate for TT plinths. This is what they call ‘solid surface’ and is similar to Corian (that’s just the DuPont trade name for their solid surface). It looks like slate at the moment because it’s unpolished and dusty :).

I could do a thread if people are interested but I realise DIY isn’t the focus of this forum and it wouldn’t be a ‘how to build your own’ guide as a number of parts of the design are proprietary and some of the equipment used in production isn’t available/accessible to most hobbyists.

8 Likes

I doubt I’ll be doing a DIY turntable anytime soon, but would be very interested in reading about yours, whether feasible for me or not.

4 Likes

Like n-lot I’m not about to diy my own deck though I’ve built a few LP12’s and a couple of Regas from scratch but I’d be very interested in the process.

1 Like

The LP12 project is drawing to a close and am very happy with how things have turned out. Really now a bit of a ‘ship of theseus’ situation with only belt guide & outer platter remaining from what I picked up (very cheaply) off auction site in summer.

Vinyl Passion PSU, Cirkus, Mober subchassis, AudioMods Series Six arm, Benz Micro Ruby Z, Stack Ultimate top place & baseboard & crossbrace.

Very fun, and learned a bit along the way.

At bottom, the RP6 w/ Groovertracer subplatter and Dynavector 20X2L has not gone away, but moved to my office w/ the SN2 and ProAc Tablette 10s, and is still getting good use.

21 Likes

I really fancy the idea of picking up a used LP12 and then buying any upgrades used by scouring eBay etc.

Any tips for a beginner to LP12’s? It’s a minefield in my research.