Show us your turntable

How can it only be 3 hours and 10 minutes to fly to NY from Turkey? I would think it is about 8 hours.

It’s 10 hours going, 8h30-9 back. What I meant is that flying for 10hrs is not much more painful than flying for 3 hrs, as the airport hassle on either side are the same.

2 Likes

Ah…that makes sense

PTP LENCO + FR66S + Soundsmith Strain Gauge

Thales table + Thales Reference Arm + DS Audio Grandmaster

AVID ACUTUS SP + FR64S + Koetsu Blue Azule

Bergmann Sleipner + Benz Micro LPS

23 Likes

Owned or are you doing a Rooster?
If owned which is favourite?

2 Likes

Not sure what ‘doing a rooster’ means but for now these r in the main listening room. The Bergmann is my favorite still. So effortless & smooth but the others r all quite nice.

Spent 6-7 years to get the Koetsu to sound decent. Finally achieved that with the FR arm & a wooden headshell. Same with the strain gauge. Took me just as many years to figure it out. Serves me right for not reading the manual - it’s a low compliance cart :sweat_smile:. The Thales with Grandmaster is my second favorite of the group at the moment.

1 Like

You are a lucky man @joeling ! Could you say a few words about the PTP lento deck?
Much appreciated :+1:
ATB,
Mark

My original intent was to get myself a Garrard 301 or 401. Unfortunately, given recent economic harship, that was out of the question. So, I settled on a PTP LENCO. I wanted to pair this with the Koetsu because I read somewhere that the designer used a Garrard 401, an idler drive type TT, to voice the carts. I’ve been trying for many years to get the Koetsu to sing and finally managed to secure a high mass arm to further my cause. So, I order the PTP but when I fitted the Koetsu, I had issues with hum. In the end, I fitted the Strain Gauge that was lying around having realised recently that it is low compliance.

Bottomline, 30% of the cost for 70% of the performance of my favourite combo. Well worth the effort.

1 Like

Thanks joeling! Looks like an interesting deck for the $. I wonder how it would sound vs a Rega P 10 using the same Rega arm? Might be a nice alternative…

It means posting, as @frenchrooster sometimes does, pictures of other people’s systems that he found on the web in the System Pics and Show Us Your whatever threads.

But as the picture you posted is of your equipment in your listening room, you definitely aren’t “doing a rooster”.

1 Like

This, but I’d rather hoped you weren’t.
I’d not noticed Bergmann Audio and linear trackers are unusual on this forum, as are air bearings.

I was eyeing up a PTP when I had problems with my Artemis as I wanted another high torque deck to run with my SPU Royal N. The PTP is quite affordable compared to a Gerrard but in the end I managed to get some oil into the motor bearings and it’s working fine again.

Ah, but these turntables ah next to each other, you can see the Lenco just adjoins the Thales and I think the Thales just adjoins the Bergman.

That is an excellent set up

That PTP is gorgeous, and it seems they’re in the Netherlands. If I’d know about them at the time I would have definitely put them on the shortlist when I was looking for a new TT.

:grinning:

21 Likes

What a super photo :+1:

Thank you :pray: :smiley:!

1 Like

This is such a good thread, and it’s now been going for a whole year. It’s wonderful to see such a variety of turntables, old ones, new ones, big ones, small ones, expensive ones, cheap ones. This is my second ‘turntable’, an 1890s Polyphon. Surprisingly, putting it on a dedicated shelf makes no difference. And even more surprising, it still works. Wind it up and off it goes. It is amazing to think that this was once the pinnacle of sound reproduction in the home.

25 Likes

What do you play on it?

HH uses Polyphon perforated discs as in his photo. Fascinating - I’d love to hear one, having only heard cylinders. There are quite a few of the discs on sale. Wikipedia has a page dedicated to the Polyphon.

Lovely machine. The original grandpappy of all our turntables!

1 Like

We have about 20 of the discs. The choice of tunes is obviously limited to those that sound ok in one revolution, as after that it’s just repeated. It belonged to my grandad. The whole family would gather round - he had 10 children - and listen. With no recorded music available it must have been quite something, almost magical.

6 Likes