Show us your turntable

Fantastic! What a great thing :slight_smile:

I think there’s one you can listen to in the Milton Keynes Museum if any UK folk are interested once lock down allows such things. Most of the devices in the music room there are used daily!

2 Likes

Here’s my vintage Michell Transcriptor Hydraulic Reference TT from the 1970s.
Not really high-end, I guess, but a great design!

24 Likes

Very nice love them but never had one they just look so nice and well engineered
Are they the original brushes as well don’t often see them original

If you do pay a visit you can make your own toast on their old range, and play with the phone exchanges! One of the most down to earth interactive museums I’ve been to. The cafe has a really nice feel to it as well, all home made :slight_smile:

1 Like

I bought one of these back in the early to mid 70s and loved it. Kept it in storage up until around 5 or 6 years ago when I finally sold it.

I have a Michell Orbe nowadays, but it doesn’t have the dramatic style and exotic appeal that the Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference turntable had when I first saw it in the film 'Clockwork Orange" back in the 70s and knew that I just had to own one.

The SL 1200 has very good internal demping out of the factory. The audio rack and all those extra dampers seems overkill to me.

Indeed! Squirrel hair, no less. The one that sweeps the record is a bit worn-out, but the company is still in business and spare parts are still available.

1 Like

I got mine fairly recently from a family member. It had been gathering dust for about 20 years, so I had to do some resuscitation (oil change, new drive belt and rubber feet in the golden pillars) but now it’s working great again.

All I can say is they make a difference to what I hear. If they didn’t they wouldn’t be there.

P8 added to the living room system last week. Missed listening to vinyl in the living room and my LP12 is living happily in the home office (and wouldn’t be suited to sitting directly on the bookcase anyway - P8, on the other hand, is virtually immune). The P8 with the Ania Pro and Fono MC is a very competent package (though could probably do with a better phono stage at some point).

29 Likes

Looks great PSAN. I do love the look of systems on ordinary furniture rather than proper racks.

8 Likes

21 Likes

27 Likes

Hi Fog,
Are you able to swap the positions of your cd player and your pre-amp?
If so, it might just give you a free sound quality upgrade, as the pre-amps like to live on their own as much as possible.

Best regards, BF

2 Likes

Thanks.

Nice setup. Just wondering why the preference for books rather than vinyl (or do you store those elsewhere?)

Thanks. The P8 was added to the living room only recently; all my records are still in my home office (with the LP12 based system).

15 Likes

Transcriptors are manufacturing turntables again!

very neat, what’s the cube for vinyl storage?

They’re from a Danish producer, and are a bit like Montana (if you know that brand). Comes in full size (4 compartments) or half size (2 compartments).