Show Us Your Wood-Working Projects

Bending the OPs thread …slightly…I see the neighbours* have an interesting wee woodwork construction ongoing…

https://m.facebook.com/Craigyhill-bonfire-larne-107988548164111/

Willy

• about 10 miles, as the crow flies.

I cobbled together this simple weighted iPad stand last weekend for a hand me down iPad Air 1 (my better half has just bought a new iPad Air). Made from scrap 9mm ply and weighted with a bag of kiln dried sand in the triangular column, then finished in charcoal grey satinwood.

Incidentally, once reset to factory settings with only a handful of apps reinstalled, this old iPad Air makes for a surprisingly good Naim app controller, which will now be its main role. Not as fast as an up to date iPhone / iPad naturally, but not too shabby either, and much snappier than expected.

6 Likes

Particularly nice paint finish there. It’s always a lively feeling when you get to reuse stuff you have kept (hoarded) over the years.

2 Likes

Thanks @GadgetMan - yes always satisfying to use old bits of wood for little projects like this. Paint finish down to eight to ten coats of undercoat and sanding before the top coat.

That’s an amazing thing to have built yourself

1 Like

I’ve been finishing the rack for my CD player / Dac / Amplifier: Oak for frame, bamboo for shelves and beech for the screw hole covers.

Although happy to muck into DIY it’s the first time I’ve done joinery since school (over 40 years ago - so very pleased with myself.
I had thought of making it from pine kitchen counter wood after picking up some off cuts to play with - but it was more fragile than I expected so used it to make a CD case holder

9 Likes

Very few people remember to kiln dry the sand. Very nice project.

1 Like

Just kidding…Clearing my Father-in-Law’s house and they knew what they were doing back whenever.

G

2 Likes

clearly, as its missing LED lights, and a Naim Uniti :wink:

1 Like

wow. that’s impressive

Inspired by a vinyl equivalent posted earlier, I quickly knocked out a ‘Now Playing’ CD holder of my own:

Without a router, I was reduced to sawing off the top section, removing the middle strip and gluing the remaining two bits back on to leave the right sized groove. I’m pleased that the joins are really difficult to see!

Mark

4 Likes

Nice sharp even chamfered edges also. How did you do those?

Thank you - I just touched them to a belt sander. With a bit of practice, it’s fairly easy to get a good finish, though it’s also easy to overdo it if you don’t know when to stop!

Mark

Mrs Willy picked up an antique cast French cross from a local shop. I’m not entirely sure why but to be honest it’s one of the less weird things I have to live with. It’s also a possibility that it was a birthday present from me, or rather on my behalf.

Anyway, I eventually got fed up tripping over it and after a hunt around the garage fabricated a plinth from a scrap of pitch pine I had “in stock”.

Quick buff with some Briwax and it came up a treat.

Willy.

2 Likes

I have finished 2 years ago a big wood project to symbolize a sound wave in oak lamellas. It has taken less than 3 years to achieve it. Its 96 lamellas of oak on a 6.6m wall. All done by hand, from design to creation.

21 Likes

You are hiding a big fish in the wall?

3 Likes

No pictures at the moment, but I’m making a window and window frame for my study. Got fed up trying to repair and patch the current window, and the new one will be double-glazed and opening, so a bonus there.

1 Like

i guess just putting something impermeable under the feet would help -maybe 2p coins? - a super cheap tweek that literally costs pennies

I’ll give that a go, good idea :grinning:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.