Show your nicest natural places of your country

Some more of scotland:

Glencoe

Loch Lomand and Trossachs

Skye

The Devils Pulpit, near Stirling

16 Likes

Of course, no ski-ing for women, they play ska.

1 Like

Rather than nice places in my country, with social lock-down travel restrictions in mind …
I’m going for nice places in my COUNTY.

Nothing mass tourist, some are a short walk others are less than an hour from home by car, some are www pics & some my own.

Burford High Street – 16 & 17th centenary stone cottages

The Rollright Stones – impossible to count the same number twice in the Kings Men Circle
The oldest stone outside the circle is 3,800-3,500 BC, the circle itself is 2,500 BC

Uffington Castle (hill fort) & its White Horse – more ancient britain.

Bibury – Not exactly in the county, but close enough

River Thames – a riverside footpath from the source to London 184miles - 296km

Some easy countryside walks all over

My local windmill, 5 minute walk up the hill

The Chiltern Escarpment & the Oxfordshire border. Last week – Bluebells, Kites & Views

16 Likes

Lovely Mike. One of my long term colleagues lives in Witney - commuting 4 days per week to London. I have been a few times on holiday to Oxford and Thame and it helped to ‘feel’ the books by Lewis and Tolkien better. Your photo’s illustrate their world nicely (eagle / buzzard).

1 Like

Looked like a red Kite

Right on Gazza, red kite, unmistakable 'round these parts, looking out of the patio windows right now I see three circling around, probably more out the other side & what looks like a pair of buzzards a distance out.

Nice view there Mike.

1 Like

I wrote kayaking. You answered ski ing. The picture is not from Poland. So I don’t understood Mpw. Sorry.

This is a beach at low tide on one of the little islands around the south side of Ulva near Mull.

It’s a very special place and one that I have visited since Uni days. A good friend’s family live on the island and I’ve always loved to visit, especially with my daughter. Summers spent on Mull were always the highlight of the year, and lunch and supper was always a case of eating only what you catch or forage. The beach here is a fantastic place for getting scallops. In the morning we would usually catch some mackerel or maybe some velvet swimming crabs and then barbecue them on the beach for lunch. In the afternoon if we were lucky we’d probably catch a Pollack to make fish and chips, or for a special treat, ask one of the Fishermen for some lobsters and big edible crabs. A very special place.

8 Likes

Nice picture of the buzzard Mike!

You said Pollack? In French, Pollak means Polish guy, from Poland :poland:

It’s on earth? :rofl:. Looks like a planet from Sci Fi movie.

Not a buzzard, a Red Kite - milvus milvus

Both in the same pic, buzzard on left, kite on right

8 Likes

FR, it’s a fish, a relative of the Cod. A big one is enough to feed the entire family for a meal.

1 Like

Aigle Royal?

No, that’s what we call Golden Eagle in English
I believe in france the Red Kite is called Milan Royal

1 Like

Yes, Milan Royal apparently

2 Likes

I assume your talking about the Devils Pulpit one? Its in the Finnich Glen about a half hour drive from my house. The mushroom shaped stone surrounded by the blood red water is allegedly where the devil preached to his followers… woooo
The water isn’t actually red, the stream is flowing over red sandstone which gives the effect and its not quite as bright as in the first picture I posted, more like these:

pilpit 1

5 Likes

I have an idea where to travel now :+1:

I’d recommend the whole Trossachs area, east of Stirling as it really is beautiful but only in the summer months due to our rubbish weather

3 Likes