Simple Tips For Better Sound

Where can I get this holy water? My HiFi store laughed at me! :face_exhaling:

1 Like

I found that the way you did it is out of phase for me

Thanks never tried the Himalayan salt just the cerebos

Well I guess you better do it the way it suits you.

Splintering? Cohesion? Are you playing through dictionaries?

I agree about mood, some days I just cant listen

3 Likes

Reminds me of Steve Wright’s Pretentious Music Journalist character.

There’s quite a few photos in the “Systems” thread of folks listening in rooms with bare floors. Invest in a thick rug to cover the floor between the listening position and the system.

2 Likes

Also having a massive TV between the speakers isn’t likely to help either.

As long as it is more than 3 feet behind the front baffles of the speakers, it can be regarded as a ‘normal wall’, but let’s face it that distance isn’t what we see on System Pics regularly :wink: ATB Peter

1 Like

Cover the screen with a thick enough cloth covering to damp out audio reflections.

Just get another rug and hang it on the tv, carpet the walls even.

Tada!

Why stop there ?

Why not go for a full monty hippy room and hang them from the ceiling.

5 Likes

Just make sure the speakers are the same side of the hanging carpets as the listener!

1 Like

Just carpet the speakers, job done.

9 Likes

2 Likes

I was walking through a park in Delhi a number of years ago when I was approached by several individuals each holding out and presenting a pouch of what looked like dirty dental tools offering to ‘clean’ my ears. One even showed his book of endorsements from previous satisfied customers. I became very good at saying sternly “No ear cleaning”. Ear cleaning was previously commonly offered in Kathmandu, but although I’ve been there many times, I’ve not encountered it there.

1 Like

Simple tip - forget about the sound of your system and just enjoy the music. That’s how it should be 99% of the time. Obvious but not easy to do for hi-fi obsessives. Think of it like this - every minute you spend obsessing over sound quality is a minute that you have wasted your money on. Presumably you bought your system to enjoy music - not to concentrate on how the system sounds. So maximise your investment by using it for what it was meant to be for.

When you do find your attention unavoidably wandering away from the music onto aspects of sound quality that’s when you need to worry - it ususally means something has ‘gone off’.

4 Likes

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with wanting as clear as possible an experience of your system at it’s best - there’s nothing “obsessive” about it.

Despite the “just listen to the music” brigade, presentation, detail, soundstaging and room presence are all as important as musicality.

If they weren’t, we’d all be listening in mono.

4 Likes

Mike,

I don’t think there’s anything obsessive about wanting to get the best performance possible from whatever set-up you have and I’m the same. All the things you mention - detail, presentation etc. are of course important. What I was meaning is that these things are part and parcel of the overall musical experience. To me, it’s when one starts to deconstruct the music into it’s component parts rather than just being able to sit back and enjoy it, that the problems start. Problems as in you are no longer ljust enjoying the music.

In the end we all listen differently though and if you are the sort of person who enjoys counting the number of violins or being able to decide what make of piano is being used then that’s fine. If we all listened in the same way we would all be buying exactly the same systems.

1 Like