Simplest way to Roonify NDS

Indeed - I plan to go over to Ceritech once the cricket’s finished. I heard a Melco and the Core there a couple of years ago. I’m glad I’ve waited but a listen is necessary.

I think the Roon is just an itch and the multi room thing is no deal breaker as I tend to use it for radio rather than music.

The summer is quiet for me Phil, apart from the cricket, so any time that suits you. We could meet in the Woolpack and then move up the valley. I promise that Badger will behave.

That would be a good trip.

Good ideas, Steve. I take it you mean your Woolpack. Tuesday and Wednesday (evenings) are free.

Phil

Great, @Richard.Dane could I trouble you please to pass my contact details to @Camphuw when you have a minute. Thanks

Whoops missed this - sorry Phil.
I’m off to Ceritech Wednesday morning to listen to Innuos and Melco beasts. So how about Wednesday 10th, what time would suit you?

How about morning whenever suits.

Phil

Evening Phil
Apologies I might have misunderstood. Would you like to come with me to Ceritech? I’m thinking of leaving around 0900 for a 1000 appointment, it’s a 45 minute journey.

If you are interested I could pick you up in Stonehouse. If not we could meet at the Woolpack at 1830 the same day.

Steve

Hi Steve, If you can pick me up - am I on route? Like to hear your system as well. Pop in again to hear my Zenith etc.

Phil

Great Phil. Getting around Gloucester is always an issue. I normally avoid the western ring road, but we can pick up the eastern route easterly enough.
Could you mind how best to find you please?

@Camphuw, I’ll send an email.

BTW the western bypass is usually very easy.

Phil

Great - it’s a few months since I tried it.

My understanding is that the $229 Sonore UPNP doesn’t do multi room but I presume it would see all my Naim streamers and could feed them the Roon signal in isolation? Also, if I bought a Poly for my Mojo I could attach it to my Muso and achieve two rooms (NDS and Muso)?

Keith

Also, is there a drop in quality when locally ripped files are streamed to the NDS using Roon on the Sonore UPNP Bridge verses streaming them directly from the Server? I’m thinking of getting either a Nucleus or Innuos as a Roon server.

I have an NDS with the Sonore UPnP bridge to give me access to Roon.

Comparing Roon vs. the Naim App, for local files, I can hear absolutely no difference in sound.

Hope that helps.

2 Likes

Thanks David,

That’s very cool. It’s almost too good to be true :grinning:

The reviews never mention this functionality. I suppose they assume people buying bridges don’t have streamers already and are more interested in USB DACs.

Also, I suspect me dealer would prefer to sell me an ND555.

1 Like

The UI and functionality of the streaming section of the ND555 definitely is a ‘next step’ beyond the NDS, but once you can use Roon with your NDS I suspect you’ll be totally happy and not feel a need for those newer functions. If the only thing you really want to change about the NDS is Roon, add a Sonore bridge or Allo DigiOne raspberry pi based bridge. (I have no idea if the Sonore sounds better or worse than the Allo!)

I will add that I am another very happy NDS / Sonore upnp bridge user. I am delighted with the SQ of the NDS and didn’t want to upgrade it just for the sake of Roon. I tried the free software LMS approach just to test Roon, but found it troublesome. Then on the advice of Simon Pepper I went for the Sonore powered with an ifi wall wart and a Nuc i7 running Roon Rock. After initial setup it has worked really well for me and sq is indistinguishable from my two other NAS devices over UPNP. Very occasionally it will freeze and can be rebooted in seconds using a simple web app. Not enough of a downside to warrant selling the NDS. I also use the dsp functionality to dial out a room mode, this is a big gain for me, as prior to this I was using offline convolution on ripped files. Now I can apply my choice of subtle dsp filters to all streams whether local, Qobuz, tidal or radio.

2 Likes

I’ve heard the ND555 in my system and it truly is a big step up, but it will cost £10k, net of NDS trade in and that is just too much for me. It’s especially scary when you think how fast this stuff is evolving. I might have bought an NDS2, but now I find myself looking at other (possibly non-Naim) solutions.

+1 for no effect on SQ of using the SonoreUPnP Bridge to enable an NDS to playback as a Roon Endpoint. In fact, over the Naim App using Asset R6.2 on a RPi2, it is actually marginally improved.
However the biggest improvement is the ability to use Roon, the UI and meta-data enhancements over the Naim App. Plus MQA playback utilizing the 1st unfold in the Roon Core.
Certainly ‘The simplest, easiest, and best way to Roonify an existing NDS network player’.

Also with the ability of good quality 2nd hand NDS on the used market, makes for better value than a ND555 :smiley:

i am like you. Spending another 10k for the nd555 is too much for me too. My nds is sounding specially good and is stable.
I prefer to wait for the next generation of naim streamers, with more modern dac inside.
When i hear often than a chord hugo improves for some the sound of the nd555, which costs 10 times more, i am a bit reluctant now to invest in it.