Six Nations Rugby

For me it’s interesting how France had a Poor world cup and have come back on fire, Mr Ewards must be some stort of deffence Yoda! and good look Allez les Blues

England had a poor game on the whole for me, apart from Yongs, May, Underhill pack did not fire until Grence got in, may time for a start

Jones and the team re set this week and then Scotland in Murryfiled should be a dog fight

Youngs did nothing of note - apart from a missed tackle for France’s try. It was only after Heinz came on that we looked vaguely dangerous.

1 Like

About time to step up the tempo of the game from England’s side but why not play with a proper #8? From having a paucity of capable ball-truffling flankers, we appear to have a surfeit now but no strong ball carrier/someone who’s experienced at decision making at the base of the scrum. Against a team with running threats in the midfield (Scotland aren’t overly capable - thankfully, but last year was a warning), I don’t understand playing Ford & Farrell.

Perhaps I’m stuck in the halcyon era of when there were running centres (Joseph - tick) and more space on the park.

1 Like

I note Marler not even on the bench yet I thought he had more impact then some and scrummaged well. Kruis for Ewels seems an obvious call.

Back row of Underhill, Curry and Ludlum. Jones convinced Curry is a long term no 8.

Slade, Nowell, Watson, Tuilagi, Cockanasingha all injured so I guess this back line is about as good as they can get although I would have Daly back at 15 and look at another young winger

EJ obviously wants mobility and handling capability on the park with MV and Genge, noting Scotland’s scrum isn’t that threatening. I’m not convinced Curry is a #8 or will ever be. Simmons at Exeter offers a lot if you want to go this way and let Curry and Underhill scrap for the ball as flankers.

Daly seems to be a shadow of the player he was at centre for Wasps, both in attack and defence. Mind you, there, he had a creative fly-half in Danny C and/or Gopperth around him a lot of the time. He seems lost on the wing and at FB, almost as if he needs to be in the action.

Endorse Simmons as an excellent 8

Very good win for The Irish, so here we go next 80 mins shoukd be interesting

1 Like

As a Clermont fan I’ve been quite impressed by Harlequins’ 8 Dombrandt during the champions cup game last January. Not sure if it was a one time performance but assuming not I wouldn’t be surprised to see him knocking at the door of national team in the near future.

2 Likes

Not sure what can be learned from that Calcutta Cup.
England a bit more control and quality maybe? Certainly a bit more bite than against France but ultimately the storm was the winner.:open_umbrella:

2 Likes

Both sides were slow to adapt to the conditions - an old fashioned tussle

enjoyable watching from the comfort of my house, horrible conditions

much better team performance from England - esp up front, I thought Genze made a great impact when he came on as did youngs

big one at The home of rugby, but it looks like its the Irish to loose

Really not a fan of the gap weeks, the game is physically harder than ever, but surely the whole point of tournament rugby is strength in depth and squad rotation??? Interesting first two games - it would appear that Wales and France have immediately started their next World Cup cycle with some very talented youngsters on show, Farrell has ruffled a whole country’s feathers with his selections, Scotland are still so close and yet so far from having a mercurial, entertaining and winning side, and England still baffles me with the insistence of playing players out of position…

1 Like

Historically AFAIC remember there was always a fortnight between matches in the 5 nations and only since the 6 nations we’ve had a back to back week.

Anyway when would the home unions get a chance to announce bad news? Slashing championship funding?

You could be right - my glasses can be slightly tinted sometimes…
But I’m certain in the six nations era there’s been several cases of two gap weeks…???

Perhaps it will be a ‘one year only’ deal just to p*ss Saracens off a bit more… :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

I hope weather does not spoil the games this weekend. The Calcutta Cup had a drama of its own but not exactly the best advert. At least Millenium has a roof.

Potentially three good games. I have no idea what sort of performance England might have up their sleeves and Wales at home will be a proper test of the French renaissance. As for Scotland, if they cannot stuff Italy you have to worry for them. If they do you suspect the grumbling about Italy as continuing participants will go up a notch.

Bruce

2 Likes

Great try by Hogg, but sad to see zero score for Italy. Where was the passion?

Two very mediocre teams. Wooden spoon bit generous for either. Looked nice and sunny in Rome anyway which cheered me up☔

1 Like

Abject performance from Wales and a reenergised France.
Looking forward to tomorrow’s game.