Six Nations Rugby

I think the Welsh were unlucky in their game against France. The interception try for the French came at just the right time in the 2nd half, just as the Welsh team was getting some momentum in the game. The knock-down in the tackle near the line could have gone in their favour too. But they also squandered some opportunities when running in to the French 22, with the ball carrier getting tackled and not shipping the ball on.

The French team seem to have a good balance now, getting back to their days of having pace and flair in their running game, with a mobile and athletic back row. Still WIP and very encouraging. Unquestionably their defence has improved immensely alongside the greater mobility.

I just wish the lawmakers hadn’t changed the offside laws many years ago, which has lead to the kick-fest now being seen in games.

2 Likes

I thought Wales v France was an excellent game to watch. France had control and organisation and also committed for the full 80mins as well as having that bit of flair. They are looking like the real deal at the moment.

I would not describe Wales as abject, but with no North or Liam Williams and Halfpenny looking pretty average in attack these days they just lacked the sparkle to get through. TMO call could have gone either way, and another yellow or even a penalty try maybe but in fairness France deserved to win I reckon.

I’m anxious about England this pm. Another poor performance and I have to wonder if Eddie Jones will be under pressure. I have always found his antics and attitude boorish but it feels that he has lost momentum post RWC. His coaching staff have more or less all changed but I’m not sensing a lot of fresh energy in the team. Other sides have blooded new faces and approaches. Bit of a test for Farrell/Ford too, with the former being pretty invisible in the two games so far.

I was disappointing to see Youngs back after one game, and I note with Lawes in the back row we have yet again 3 locks on the field, plus two on the bench!

We shall see.

1 Like

Bruce - I concur with your view on England and the coaching/player development.

Aside from the WC match against the AB’s (an over-mature team at the time to many), while the back row has developed, the back line and its general creativity hasn’t. If Manu doesn’t play, there’s a massive void of threat in the midfield and the back 3, save May (assuming he gets the ball). This is magnified when the forwards don’t have dominance/parity, as highlighted against SA and France.

…and Joseph on the wing looks more defensive than anything to me.

Well this is an aggressive and dominant first half from England, in attack and defence. Look really fired up. Ireland having scraps only, and probably pleased to not have conceded more.

1 Like

Great England performance, after Sexton’s narge up at the start the writing was on the wall. Nice to have Tuilagi back thats for sure.

1 Like

Well that was a surprise… Irelan out played by England in all departments.

1 Like

Farrell needed a good kicking for holding on like that.

1 Like

Agree, what the hell was he doing? He nearly ended up in bath with the big irish guy.

FIFY :wink:

1 Like

delighted the FULL England team turned up yesterday, as I said few weeks ago the French seamed like the team to beat

very good performance vs Irish, yes they had an off day esp Sexton but you still need to take advantage, the Welsh just got bigger!

Thanks to an old rugby playing mate for this.

3 Likes

Similar to this old favourite…

4 Likes

I hope that all recent events don’t detract from the intensity of Eng v Wales today. Always a fixture to relish. Wales seem to me to have played OK this year so far without great reward and will benefit from George North and Liam Williams being back. Halfpenny looks a spent force to me.

If England can summon the same aggression and control they had in the first half against Ireland they will be a handful, but it would be nice to see something from the backs too.

Bruce

1 Like

Hard game at HQ

2 Likes

Immense defence from England from about 50 minutes on - I’m not sure Wales would have scored another try had the full 15 been on.

Narrow margins and had they had a few quicker plays at times I think Wales almost could have drawn or even snuck it.

Yellow card justified, blatantly killing the ball after a clear warning.

Red card technically had to be given - lovely to see Tuilagi and North having a hug after Tuilagi was sent off.

I may be wrong, but I actually wonder if Tuilagi tried to drop his shoulder/arm and twisted to the left to avoid hitting North but mistimed it and still made contact - as I say technically a bit reckless but if there was real intent I don’t think George would have got up.

Good tough win for England. Have to wonder if Wales might have done better in the first half kicking a bit less as they seemed to make progress when they chose not to.

The cards seemed reasonable to me even if Tuilagi did not intend harm his dive was potentially dangerous as he hit the head with his shoulder first.

Youngs played with more energy than for some time, and Slade did well at fullback but I guess most credit goes to the back row again. Maybe Curry is a number 8 after all.

Bruce

Red a bit harsh. He was committed to the tackle and when Slade tackled North it was too late to readjust. The resulting collision looked iffy but a yellow would have been fairer.

I was in the stadium, at the right corner to see the tackle and it looked hard but not terribly un-rugby to us. Irrespective, in 2020, it’s what it looks like on the replay that counts.

Mark

1 Like

At full speed, it looks like MT was trying to anticipate where GN would be when he launched at him, with the intention to wrap arms around GN’s torso as he hit with the shoulder. Problem was, HS’s tackle pulled GN down (great tackle IMV).

Above said, MT is a bit too bulky for his own good…and poor GN seems to have unfortunate knack of getting hit/seeing contact around the head area (I hope no implications for later life).

Was it a conscious tackle to the head/neck area with force - highly debateable IMV.

I just wish England had put Wales away far better. If the game clock had a few more minutes on it, Wales were in with a shout, which should never have been the case. England’s defensive set-up for Wales’ excellent try from their own 22 was very poor - almost as if the England team were expecting the ball to go to the other side of the pitch.

I thought the ref had a good game - he was clear what would happen if England offended near their line and was hamstrung by the pictures of MT’s tackle.

Now if only the Scots can have that ‘once in a competition performance’ against the French!

1 Like