SL2 crossovers

Might be worth a call to Wilmslow Audio if you are uk based (they are in Leicestershire), see my post at #4 above

1 Like

I had my NBL crossovers serviced at Naim HQ a few years back. Although there was quite an interval between listening, I cannot say I was able to identify any difference in the sound.

I think this topic has been discussed a few times. I suppose it depends on the components used within the crossover. Unless someone really has a convincing argument why they need servicing then maybe best to just leave them alone

When i phoned Naim a few years ago about having my Credo crossovers serviced i was told that they are non-serviceable and didnā€™t require it. Iā€™m now left wondering if anyone has ever had their n-SATs crossovers serviced?:thinking:

Thank you Stephen. That is consistent with what I heard. I assume that is the same for Allaes and SL2.

Surprising that some crossovers are serviceable and some are not ā€œ donā€™t need it ā€œ
Canā€™t imagine similar components not needing serviced if others are.
Suppose they donā€™t make them now anyway.

Hi @sound-hound ,
I may talk to them anyway because the supply the foam for SL2 top cabinet.

Not requiring servicing is one thing. Being ā€˜Non-serviceableā€™ is very different - perhaps Naim meant ā€˜we do not service themā€™ā€¦ ?? Am sure others could service a Passive Crossoverā€¦ :thinking:

1 Like

Whoever told you that was wrong.
It may have been the same guy that misinformed me in 2010 when phoning naim and was given the spiel about never need servicing. He also went on to say that SBLs are obsolete and should upgrade to the new design blah blah blahā€¦ (Ovators?)

PXOs have electrical components that can and will breakdown with time and usage so there will come a time when servicing or replacing with new will be needed.

5 Likes

One looks like an SL2 crossover and assume the other is an SBL crossover. No idea if they are the same an can be interchanged

Neither is ideal on the wrong speaker; certainly the SBL crossover is wider so will foul the tweeter arm on the SL2s, so a non starter. An SL2 PXO though may be useable on SBLs.

1 Like

My SL2 and SBL PXOs are relatively new, either work fine with my SBLs and i donā€™t detect any concernable or noticeable difference between them. This is a bit strange considering the SL2 type look so different.

2 Likes

Interesting. Iā€™ve never seen an SL2 PXO. Never bothered to take the board out to look.
I must say this whole business of servicing is generally unclear and there are differing opinions. Looking at some of those components, I would assume some sort of recapping is at least required after a few years. I just did a quick Google on the yellow polypropylene caps and they still seem to exist.
I think I might just make a call to class A with some questions about servicing to see what they have to say. Especially regarding preamps. I think it is very clear that components usually benefiting from service and recapping are the power supplies and power amps and less so (apparently) for others

Yes I thought so too. Iā€™m with you on that one. Iā€™m thinking now that maybe my n-SATs would benefit from an overhaul and refurb with new foam and crossovers?:thinking:

Iā€™m curious as to what would be replaced and measured on that board? Donā€™t tell me, no-one here will tell us :flushed: Ā£ā€¦:rofl:

I expect it was more cost effective to replace rather than service.
They only cost a couple of hundred quid a pair.

But if there arenā€™t any new ones available then servicing is the only option ā€¦or go active :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

With active crossovers - which are also no longer available, of course :joy:

It was the unavailability of new passive crossovers (plus the value, I assume) that swung it with my NBL crossovers. In fact, there was such concern that the retailer actually drove them down to Naim HQ and deposited them on Jasonā€™s desk! Once serviced, Jason brought them back personally, rather than risk courier transport. Howā€™s that for an example of the excellence of Naim Audio customer support!

3 Likes

I recapped my IMF RSPM crossovers at 40+ years of age - and likewise, I canā€™t say there was any difference sufficient to notice, though it was only a day between.

I had my SL2 crossovers serviced by Naim about a year ago.

2 Likes

Interesting @JimDog
I wonder if they still service them then