SL2 owners: re. foam

Hi Bruce

Great news that you changed the foam ok.

Shame it did not improve SQ.

(At least it didn’t get worse!)

It just shows that everything as always is room and system and listener dependent.

Best wishes
Jim

Did you mean the Wilmslow Audio foam?

Wilson Audio foam sounds rather expensive!

Perhaps the original foam was forced in without cutting a slot in it to account for the roof brace because that made the foam bend outwards at near the roof, which may have made it sound better?

Yes, sorry!

Has anyone ever taken out the bass drivers on their SL2s?

I’d love to replace the foam in my bass cabinets.

I think @NeilS explained this further back in this thread?

Yes, he did.

We have Neil’s excellent advice on how the foam is arranged in the SL2 bass box:
“3 per cabinet, not bonded together, just 3 on top of each other held vertically bent into a horseshoe a pushed in through the driver hole, so that they covered the sides and back leaving the airflow through the PAR unobstructed.”

In the post that you responded to, I asked whether anyone on the thread had taken out their bass drivers as I thought SL2 owners would be interested to know how difficult it is to remove and put back the bass drivers, and whether anyone knows who is expert at doing it.

Oh sorry, I must have misunderstood this bit…

No worries.

I’ve replaced the 2 foam pads in my SL2 tweeter cabinet.

I’m delighted with the effect that had on SQ.

So that’s triggered me to start investigating how hard it is to remove the bass drivers and replace the 3 bits of foam in the bass cabinets, as Neil has said that if the foam has gone in the tweeter cabinet, it’s probably also gone in the bass cabinets too.

Actually, when I say ‘bass cabinets’, I’m talking about the woofer cabinets right underneath the tweeter cabinets - not the big separated bass columns under that, which I think have hair in them, not foam.

Hopefully not followed by a ‘are replacement bass drivers still available from Naim’ post :flushed:

I have heard it said that Naim replacement bass drivers are no longer in stock.

So removing the bass drivers just to replace the foam is probably a no-no.

(If anyone ever hears of some replacement bass drivers that are available, please let me know!)

I suspect there’s no problem with removing the bass drivers as long as your careful Jim and replace them correctly (sealant if used and correct bolt torque)

1 Like

That’s encouraging.

I bet someone will eventually read this who’s done it and can give us some more gory details based on experience.

1 Like

Last year I contacted Naim and was told they still have Base drivers (low stock think it was £150 each?? )for the sl2 but not for the sbl’s. I decided not to go down that path as woofers can do many many years without issue unless over powered and cooked. Tweeters @£150 for the set is apparently something that makes a good difference, Ive read a number of post where the tweeter replacement has improved the upper mids. Told after 10 years or so it’s a good move. Think you can see the solder to be used. The tweeters that came from Naim had a syringe of hylomar blue sealant in the box though I did go and buy some new stuff (A few different specs of it )The torque setting is .8 Nm or finger tight and a bit. Really important not to over torque them as it can buckle the diaphragm and cracked the plastic surroundings. Also soldering the post is best left to somebody who has experience as it’s easy to cook the tweeter coil. See the packing foam could be 80ppi :grin:

I read elsewhere that Tom Tom do some repairs on Naim speakers. They have parts too. Maybe worth asking them.

1 Like

Fwiw Tom Tom told me earlier this summer that SL2 drivers are no longer available

1 Like

Did they mean that new matched pairs of SL2 woofers can no longer be bought from Naim?

So anyway, whats inside NBLs and how the hell does someone find out lol.?

2 Likes

A bird’s nest? So glad i have n-SATs. :grin:

FYI I have a couple of pairs of nsats and an ncent and the foam in all is knackered…